33/M From Texas

Hi everyone.
I’ve had this page open for like a week or so. I kept meaning to get on here and participate but end up doing something else. I don’t even know where to start. My name is Mike. I am 33 years old. I was born in Chicago, Illinois. Grew up in Detroit, Michigan, and moved to Texas in 2013 after meeting to love of my life on an online video game. We have two beautiful daughters. I’m a night custodian at a high school. I was diagnosed with adult ADHD a few years ago after having an epiphany of “Something is not right with me”. It was a huge relief, the puzzle pieces finally started to fall into place as to why I am the way I am. But, it still wasn’t enough. It might have been helpful if I had continued to go to the mental health clinic. But it was so expensive. And as I said, I’m a school custodian. I don’t make enough to pay out of pocket. And our medical insurance doesn’t cover mental health. After I was diagnosed, they wanted me to come back and talk to the psychiatrist on skype. And wanted me to pay $275 to do it. To talk to some guy on skype? Really? So I never went back. Part of me regrets that. I feel like meds or some kind of therapy would have beneficial for me. And then I forgot about trying to do anything about it until recently. I listen to a lot of music and podcasts while I’m at work. It’s really the only way I can work and be productive. I came across a song by Joyner Lucas called ADHD. And I related to it. Even when I was diagnosed I didn’t really know anything about it. So I started looking up stuff about ADHD on youtube. While going down a youtube rabbit hole as usual. I stumbled on Jessica’s TedTalk. It was like a light bulb went off in my head. No, that’s not right. It was more profound than that. When I found out I had adhd. It did answer a lot of questions I had. And explained a lot about myself. But it still didn’t fulfill all the negatives I thought about myself. And I had no tools to help me manage. But watching that tedtalk and then going to the how to adhd channel and engulfing myself in all these videos about. Definitely started making feel better about myself. They’re so … empowering, inspiring. And then scrolling down and reading the comments, for the first time in my life I feel like I’m not alone. My wife doesn’t understand fully. And I’ve never opened up to her about it. About the struggles I’ve face in my life without knowing why. And the struggles I continue to face on a daily basis. But after finding how to adhd. Finding out what the cause of it is. I finally sat down and really opened up to her about it. For a while I thought I was using it as an excuse because I forgot to do the dishes. Or because I forgot a conversation we had. But now I know I just need more tools and things to help me get better. I’m glad I got diagnosed. Especially now that I have a daughter that might have it. We’ll know how to deal with it. I wish I had known when I was a kid. Crap, I have to get ready for work. Anyway. Thanks for reading my rant. I look forward to being a part of this community. Finally, having people that understand.

4 Likes

I too was happy to find How to ADHD. I am 73 with ADHD diagnosed about 20 years ago. My 42 y.o. son has ADHD. He was diagnosed when he was 4 yrs. old. Knowing at his early age was helpful to get him the help he needed. Based on the experience with our son I began to question whether or not I was the tree from which the apple fell​:exclamation:Well I certainly was the :deciduous_tree:

I encourage you to keep connected here. Look forward to hearing more from you . . .

2 Likes

Know the feeling, brother. Welcome to the tribe!

1 Like

Thank you for the warm welcome. It’s been cool to read stories and experiences from people i can relate to.

1 Like