40 yr old dude newly diagnosed

Hello! 40 yr old guy from oklahoma city here. newly diagnosed. I started 20mg generic adderall xr today. not sure what to expect. Been watching a lot of how to adhd videos trying to (and doing so!) find tools to help me function better. i’m open to any suggestions as to what to expect and how to help myself. thanks!

4 Likes

There are lots of great tools out there, and a lot of them are free. I’d highly suggest some of the following:

There are of course lots of great tools available via the HowToADHD channel and other sites online. But I find that the podcasts are super helpful as they cover a wide variety of topics as well as different resources.

4 Likes

Welcome. I’m 43, diagnosed at 39. I tried meds for a few months, but for the last several years, I’ve mostly been ignoring it. It doesn’t go away. Lol. Lately I’ve watched a lot of videos, recently started a Bullet Journal, thanks to the channel, which has thus far been helpful. Much better than regular planners or phone planners for me. I’m going to start going through some CBT specifically for my ADHD, in a little over 3 weeks.

As quietlylost said, there are lots of resources. My best advice? Don’t ignore it.

4 Likes

Greetings, I’m 43 and newly diagnosed as well. The bullet journal has been helpful for me. I’ve actually created a few. 1 for work, 1 for home, and 1 for creative projects. The work and home ones have been good for me to get things done or stay on task. I’m also on adderall. I find the adderall helps calm my anxiety around big deadlines or heavy workloads with short deadlines, and it does help me get started and working on things. However, the adderall makes me more irritable and have trouble sleeping. It also has reduced my appetite, which makes it easy to forget to breakfast or lunch when I’m alone.

3 Likes

Welcome to the tribe. We are mostly harmless (and sometimes even helpful).

I’m mid-50s and still not officially diagnosed. My doctor likes to work on coping mechanisms instead of just prescribing, so I don’t have any idea how meds would affect me.

This may or may not work for you, but my doctor has dragged me kicking and screaming to using Google Keep and Calendar to help organize myself. “But I don’t need help with my shopping list! I do fine with that on paper!” But in the spirit of being good and not making headlines for being attacked by my doctor, I’m trying it (No, she really wouldn’t attack me). Since I’m a modern American with a phone surgically attached to me, I can always add things to the appropriate shopping list, and I never get to the store and realize I left the list at home. And as a software engineer, I live on my computer, so I can always update things easily.

– John

5 Likes