46/M Hello

Hello Fellow ADHD people,

I was diagnosed way back in 1979 with ADD, at the time I was in Kindergarten. Today I’m an Automotive Engineer with a degree in Electrical Engineering. I’ve been an employed as an Engineer for 22 years. If you would have asked me way back in grade school, I would have told you I was the dumbest kid in school. My mission was to prove everyone wrong about that. I think I did okay? During my journey, I shed plenty of tears, and had a whole slew of failures and broken relationships. I still struggle, mainly with finding my darn keys and wallet…I swear the damn things can walk off all by themselves :wink: in any case I’m interested in hearing other’s success and failures, and life experiences.

Best regards,
Steve

1 Like

@srgranke

Your story sounds very familiar!! I’m 73 with ADHD. My son is 42 with ADHD. He was diagnosed at age 6. He often called himself “stupid“ when he couldn’t do things other kids were able to do. When he graduated high school he did not think of himself as “college material“. Eventually he changed his mind and after seven years, and three colleges, he graduated with a degree in computer engineering! His first job was electrical engineering which he has been doing ever since! And the “stupid” kid graduated with a GPA of 3.97. [A proud dad cannot help but brag!].

Best of luck to you . . . Look forward to hearing more about you and how things are going!

1 Like

Hello Brooklyn,

I actually think having ADHD has some advantages for jobs requiring some creative ability. I know for a fact that many ADHD brains become engineers. Although I’m not sure if all ADHD brains are suited to it, but I know some are. My father was also ADHD, although never diagnosed. He was a Chemist and a brilliant man. I do think ADHD is not the best label, as I really suffer from Hyper Focus. Great for attacking problems, not so good when my wife is yelling at me, and I still have no clue she is even addressing me. LOL

1 Like

@srgranke

I guess for your dad and me the :apple: did not fall from the :deciduous_tree::exclamation:

:sunglasses:

1 Like

I would agree, and I think that is a very good thing.

1 Like

@srgranke

OOPS! I got that all wrong . . .

Should have read:

“I guess for your dad and me the :apple: did not fall FAR from the :deciduous_tree:

NOT

“I guess for your dad and me the :apple: did not fall from the :deciduous_tree:

Quite opposites!

Who said ADHD was not alive and well . . .

btw: If you care to . . . feel free to use my first name, BARRY

1 Like

Hello Barry,

Wow, I didn’t even catch that. In my mind I read it as you intended.

Best regards,
Steve

1 Like

@srgranke

same back to you . . . :sunglasses:

1 Like