504 Advice/ confusion

Ok. So my school councilor called me in today. My mom had called about 504 and stuff. We had a long convo but for part of it she said some odd stuff. I’ve got like 3.00 gpa with some a’s b’s and c’s. I know those aren’t “bad” grades. But it’s certainly lower than my potential. Is my councilor right in saying that I could only get more time on tests because I’m such a “good” student and kids with more accommodations are getting ds and fs? What do y’all think. I’m not diagnosed but we’re working on it. More accommodations meaning like extended deadlines, less math problems or different work formats stuff. What do you guys think/ what are your experiences. Because I’m “so good” should accommodations be super limited? Even though I’m struggling and working harder than other kids? Thanks

2 Likes

Absolutely not accommodations help all students reach their potential. I do not think just based on grades and GPA that accommodations should be limited because of being a “good student” you are struggling and you need help in school to not make it such a struggle and you recognized that which is important and your getting help./ Your school consular seems to think that just because of grades and GPA that you should less accommodations then you actually do. I think what might help a little is having a diagnoses but take this information with a slight grain of salt because I don’t know much about 504 other than it protects us against discrimination and allows us to receive accommodations in school because I had an IEP growing up and having an IEP is different than a 504 plan because an IEP plan is very specific as to goals for students to achieve throughout the school year which are set by a team typically made up of parents or legal guardian, your teachers, and I think the principle I don’t remember but here is an article that might be able to help you out in terms of seeing if maybe you can receive both a 504 plan and an IEP https://www.additudemag.com/10-myths-about-special-ed-services/

1 Like

@Camper_Ellie n terms of the IEP my counselor made it sound like “oh no you don’t need special ed only kids who are really struggling get IEP‘s” it was kind of offputting and weird but she’s the adult so I just said OK. I don’t know

1 Like

But then again I also don’t know what your struggles are so you could be more eligible for an IEP than I

1 Like

I was a good student too the only reason I had an IEP was because I was born with a profound hearing loss and have two cochlear implants to help me hear so when I got dignosee with ADHD it was just added to my iep along side accommodations that I needed so yes I did qualified for special Ed but I didn’t need special ed in terms of the classroom I was in classes with everyone else who weren’t in the special Ed rooks because of the neeed to be in a less restrictive learning environment in order to reach my potential as a student . But I do think that my hearing loss overshadowed my ADHD because I think that my teachers were more concerned about my hearing losss with behaviors that I was exhibiting than behaviors that would have beeen exhibits for my ADHD

2 Likes

I don’t think that you should be restricted in the accommodations, but I do think accommodations should be chosen to fit the challenges you are experiencing. I think your grades may be a sign that there are some elements you struggle with, but others you don’t. Out of the menu of all possible accommodations there are some that apply to you but others that don’t. Your councillor may not be getting a clear picture of you and your needs, so I recommend thinking through that concept yourself and trying to come up with explanations of which accommodations you think would be important for you and why

3 Likes

Ahh makes sense . Also thanks for article.

1 Like

No problem hoped it helped out and keep going remember you got this

1 Like