8bitdom here!

Hey all! I’m Dom I have had ADHD since I was a kid. I’m 28 now and just trying to make some friends and get a better grip on how my brain functions. I’m very ambitious but seem to have issues focusing when its time to buckle down and get the hard work done. I love to entertain! I’ve been trying to start a YouTube channel for the last 7 years but due to previously stated reasons it’s been a roller coaster. I mean so much its fractured friendships because I’ll get everyone super motivated on a project and then flake out when I lose interest. Any advice that you guys have I’m definitely all ears. I’ve done my own research but that only takes you so far.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community!

2 Likes

Welcome to the club :sweat_smile:
If I had a dollar for every time someone described me as very ambitious but struggles to follow through!
Something like a YouTube channel can be very well suited to the ADHD brain, but will also have it’s set backs, as it seems you’ve come to learn.

From my own personal experience, what I choose to do for my 9 to 5 comes down to a balance.

Too much autonomy and it can be a struggle to self organise or keep yourself accountable.

Too much structure and you’ll feel trapped or rebel and often get frustrated with the lack of control you have over situations.

YouTube can be good ‘if’ you have that as your main and primary focus, but you will really need to clear your schedule, initially at least, to get yourself set-up. Create your own ‘rough’ routines, find what works for you, try and get an upper hand on being organised, then SLOWLY add things to your schedule from there.

Personally I’m attempting to find a place of employment where I have a better balance, currently I have too much autonomy.
Previously, my last job, had a pretty good ratio and I was able to stay for a few years, but between the mental and physical toll the labour and overtime had on me, i needed to move on.
That and I was losing interest in the job as it was very limiting on an intellectual level and no ladder to climb in terms of positions. (I was a truckie!)

Sorry if I rambled on, but I hope some of that helps a little. :+1:

1 Like