Active listening and understanding what is being said

Hi all - Looking for a strategy on how to actively listen and take notes during meetings at work (virtually). I hear the words but the comprehension of those words are lost in my brain. I am a project manager so this skill is a must. Any advice on how to cope/overcome? I am looking for a way to stay engaged (in taking notes or something to capture what is being said/discussed). My brain tends to just shut off and I can’t even tell you what I start thinking about (seems to be blank). I like organization and lists if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks a bunch!
Miranda

2 Likes

I am now retired, but for more than 20 yrs. as Performance Improvement Administrator for a non-profit, community mental health center, I attended and (on many occasions) chaired many meetings. Now I participate in Zoom meetings of various charitable, environmental, and inter-religious groups. I have always been incapable of taking coherent notes while listening / participating in a meeting. Whenever I could, I would rely on notes taken by others.

:sunglasses:

PS: WELCOME to our “family”!

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome. I totally rely on others. I wish they did have to rely on me.LOL

3 Likes

Record the meeting so you can play it back and pause it to take notes.
Also this means you can concentrate on what you have to say In the meeting without trying to remember that important thing you’ve already forgotten somebody else said 10 minutes ago lol
Also i close my eyes when on the telephone to help me concentrate on what the other person is saying but then you wouldn’t be able to take notes lol

3 Likes

@Samuelburns I was going to say that it is easier to record when you are via zoom because it is on your computer so then if you do get sidetracked you can go back ( @Brooklyn @Waternthesky)

2 Likes