adderall making me sleepy???

It is my second day on Adderall, and so far, it has made me pretty sleepy. I thought it was supposed to have the opposite effect??? I napped for an hour both days about an hour after taking it, and I am not a napper, typically. And I slept 10 hours, right through my alarm, and woke up to my kid banging on the door that he was hungry and I hadn’t made breakfast yet. I felt like I still could have slept longer.

Has anyone else had this reaction? If so, did it go away over time? My waking hours have been much more productive and functional, so I don’t want to get rid of it, but I am so very sleepy.

1 Like

Just bumping this. It has been a week now, and I am still exhausted. Last night I slept 10 hours. This morning I took my meds, got the kid off to school, then promptly fell back asleep for another 4 hours.

1 Like

I don’t take stimulants (other than caffeine via coffee and cola), so I have no experience with adderall. I’ve been on an anti-anxiety medication for two weeks now. I had some positive effects and some mild side-effects from the first day. From the first day through the 12th, I noticed a gradual shift with the positive effects increasing and the side-effects decreasing. (I did choose to cut back on the caffeine, which may have helped.)

If you haven’t done so already, notify your doctor. It may be that your body is still adjusting to the medication, and it may be that you need the dosage adjusted. Or you may respond better to a different ADHD medication. Keep in touch with your doctor.
(Try calling to leave a message, or send an email to update your doctor.) It can take a while to settle on the right medication and dosage.

Keeping track of how much it’s making your sleep is a good practice. Be sure that you are writing this information down.

1 Like

I take a short acting dose in the afternoon and I can have a nap after taking that but I can’t nap with just the long acting medication. Definitely talk to your Doc. Every persons brain is different.

2 Likes