Addiction to medication?

Just have my first visit with a psychiatrist and he said that some of the ADHD medication is additive.

Has anyone found their medication addictive? My “research” told me that it wasn’t.

Does anyone have any links to articles or studies?

1 Like

Some are addictive if taken in high amounts, but from what I understand (I’m not a doctor, keep that in mind), at the clinically used doses, addiction is extremely rare. But in higher doses, amphetamines especially CAN be addictive. But again, that’s usually at way higher doses than are used to treat ADHD…

1 Like

Also have this, which might give you an idea as well.:blush: It’s from a full study, I’ve linked and posted this multiple times in the forum because people are sometimes scared.:blush::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Nope nope nope and nope. I really think the fear, that ADHD medications will become addictions, is a bug-a-boo that has been falsely posited by naysayers. We deal with just so so SO much disinformation about the ADHD range of psychological knowledge, and this (to me) is just another unnecessary red flag. A warning without much merit.

For a contrary example, what about depression medications? People don’t generally put up red flags about anti-depressants being addictive, but ya know, many of them are very addictive. Yet, if you hear about someone getting therapy for their depression, often the response is not, “You better watch it, that’s a fake disease and you’ll get addicted to those drugs.” In fact, some people WILL get addicted to certain anti-depressants (depends which one, of course) yet the drugs are still indicated, prescribed, and administered, and the common man on the street isn’t all up in arms about their addictiveness. People take em anyway! When it’s ADHD, it seems to me, people get all up in arms about the addictiveness. “Watch out, man! That is a deadly killer!” … oh yeah? Killer, like the oil they use to pop popcorn at the movies? To me it’s not half as big a threat (I think) as it is a drama.

So, here’s a video about (among other topics) the addictive characteristics of common ADHD medications.

One upshot from the video is, well, essentially our ADHD-brains NEED to slake that addiction SOMEHOW. Thus, if you have (potentially untreated) ADHD, you will either self-medicate by eventually getting yourself addicted to heroin, alcohol, gambling, sex, or something else detrimental; or you will control your ADHD-based propensity for following your uncontrollable impulses by, instead, getting a regular helpful drug, a drug which is SIMILAR in its effects to the fulfillment of those impulses, because the drug is also similar in its chemical make-up, to the things which give us those dopamine hits. You pick – risk that eventually you will become really addicted to something bad, because you have untreated unrecognized ADHD; or, simulate an addiction’s dopamine rush, in order to help your brain reduce its need for what otherwise would have to be served by an addiction.

4 Likes

Thank you. This is a great answer.

1 Like