ADHD and Being Green?

No matter what everyone’s personal views are, we know the outdoors is great for ADHD - so when it comes to looking after it, or connecting to something bigger than ourselves, I’m curious… how can those things be managed on top of everything else?

Things like remembering to recycle? Making cool, upcycled art or homewares? Anything!

4 Likes

Have a spot to set up a hammock or slack line basically two trees for both a hammock to relax sleep reader a slack line for getting our extra energy out

3 Likes

I am a BIG fan of hammock action. I think the rhythmic swaying and the sagging and looped position of the body actually have very positive effects on my otherwise ADHD-addled brain. I think it hearkens to our innate need for a primate habitat.

2 Likes

@cliftonprince both of you are so right, there’s some really great stuff on the ‘sensory diet’ of which swaying and visual stimuli is a huge part! Any good hammock recommendations?

1 Like

I have a hammock by a company called eno which is a very good company and here’s there website https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/ also this hammock company is sold through REi which is an outdoors type company here in the states

1 Like

I never quite managed myself in a hammock, sadly. But give me a nice bench and I’m fine.

As for the original question: I think it comes down to setting up the right systems.

• Saving energy is mostly all about getting more modern, energy-efficient electronics.
  • If remembering to turn off the light ist an issue, there are timers for that.
  • Separating trash is easy once you have all the right bins and know when they get collected or where to take it. It can become a habit and is great for hyper-focussing, too.
  • If you’re having trouble remembering the trash collection dates, a calendar might help.
  • The best system for leaving the car at home in favor of walking or taking the bike is to not have a car in the first place. (It’s cheaper, too!) If you’re in a city, there’s surely some car-sharing initiative for when a car is indeed needed, but since getting there is always a bt of a hassle, it makes taking the car less attractive than using your feet which, for most of us, are right there with us.

Even better that recycling trash, of course, is to avoid it altogether. This may be an issue if you’re prone to impulse buying. I’m kind of lucky in that regard - my ADHD doesn’t urge me to buy stuff (much), it rather makes it hard to make a decent buying decision or even just to get going to buy stuff even when I need it. So hard, in fact, that I have more than enough time to consider if it’s something I need to buy or if I can just make it from some of the stuff I never got around to throwing out.

As for grocery shopping, I rely on a checklist app that I use for a shopping list. I uncheck what I need when it runs out and check it again when it’s in the shopping cart, and I ignore what’s not on the list. Going to the store 15 minutes before closing time helps, too. You don’t believe how focused a shopping trip can become if you’re about to get kicked out any minute!

I’m trying to get myself to throw away more, in fact, rather than less. Because thinking ‘I might need that some day’ is enticing but can also lead to a mess. I did turn old bed sheets into curtains and an old jacket into a chair cover, and it’s always good to know that that’s an option. But unless I have a concrete idea about what do do with a thing and ideally a time-frame and an action plan for actually doing it, I’m trying to educate myself to reduce the clutter instead.

6 Likes

I like your idea of getting the right bins, so many things can be solved by taking some time to set up the right equipment that’s very true.

That’s so cool! I love being inspired by these creative solutions

3 Likes

Pls excuse the rant … It’s amazing how many things could be automated to save energy time worry but somehow don’t find their way to the average consumer. Eventhough I work in this field I still have this feeling that regulations make it hard to get products to market for a reasonable price so only have timers vs automated switches. And if it is automated google and amazon and facebook all have to know what you’re doing otherwise whats the ‘value’ of just having a radio controlled switch?

One of my garden timers … from the bottom (post apocaliptic utopia) of our garden.

3 Likes

Very true! Or even the awareness that those things exist/ are available to purchase somewhere.

1 Like

I too am frustrated that the Android Google Apple Amazon Multiplex seems to think that “automation around my house” means “license for their invasion of my privacy.”

My best “automated” tasks are the ones that I do myself. I water my own yard by hand without timers or other devices … or don’t … and would very much value the act of NOT having to set it up to do it on its own. If I could get a lifestyle where there was less stress, to the point that I didn’t need to figure out ways that automation could help me to reduce the stress, then I would simply be delighted that automation was unnecessary, and I wouldn’t automate. I would have a slower attitude and a slower life, and would water … or not … when I felt like it, or when I wanted to, or when the grass needed it, or when it didn’t.

2 Likes

Automation will not as yet tell you when your plants are sick, and that is one of the big positives of ppl in the loop watering … But it is comming …

1 Like