ADHD and Nicotine

Hi! I just read this fantastic interview with Greta Gerwig, who I suspected had ADHD, and she does!
She mentioned that she used to self medicate with coffee and nicotine. I use coffee all the time, and it helps me a ton. I was wondering if anyone knew about nicotine as a self medication strategy. Is that a common thing?

1 Like

I do, a lot - i used to chew gum, but got on the vaping train a while back - and love it… don’t get me wrong, it has it’s downsides - and would never recommend it to kids of course, but nicotine is very chemically similar to caffeine, which I assume we all know, helps a lot – The only issue i have with Nicotine / vaping is that since it is much more addicting, it makes it difficult to go long periods (like flying or going to a theme park, work meeting, etc) without access… which is where the mints and things help, but not the same…

That all said, i finally was able to find a provider locally who will treat adult adhd with actual real medication and not just ‘try using a notebook’ responses… so, I’d like to come off of it, but for now it is the only thing that keeps me running and focused

1 Like