ADHD and processing speed

I process information slowly and get upset . Is this possible for someone with ADHD ?

2 Likes

@ALADDIN, slow processing speed is not a recognized ADHD trait that I am aware of.

However, many people with ADHD have other co-occurring conditions (referred to as co-morbidities). These can include learning disabilities (such as dyslexia or dyscalculia), anxiety, depression, oppositional defiant disorder (ODD), and others.

I found an article about children with both ADHD and a condition called “slow processing speed”. www.additudemag.com/slow-processing-speed-adhd-interventions

I have also heard and read about another proposed condition called “sluggish cognitive tempo” (SCT). There has been some research on this, but as far as I know, it is not yet widely recognized in the field of psychology. According to longtime Dr. Russell Barkley, a renowned expert on ADHD and proponent of SCT as a diagnosis, roughly half of the people with SCT have ADHD as well.

I was diagnosed about two months ago with both ADHD and Anxiety, and I observed that the anxiety made my ADHD symptoms up to 5-times more severe then normal. My processing speed is normally a little bit slow, but it was much worse when my anxiety was at it’s worst. (Might I have SCT? Maybe, but like I said, it’s still not well-known.)

1 Like

I mean it can be harder to understand information because of what @j_d_aengus and it is understandable you would be upset and frustrated because you cant process stuff as well as others.

2 Likes