ADHD at university

When I did my undergraduate degree, I was undiagnosed and unsupported. Now I’m going back as a postgrad, complete with diagnosis, medication and life coaching! And an application for DSA (I’m in the UK). My question for you guys is, how did/do you cope at university with your ADHD? (answers from outside the UK most welcome too!)

5 Likes

Not very well so far unfortunately :frowning:

The good news is that last semester I had a really nice tutor who was understanding of my needs and it’s shown me that finding a good mentor and staying in touch with that person for accountability/advice is invaluable. And that it’s never too late to rethink your approach and try something different.

2 Likes

I got diagnosed soon after finishing my Master’s and graduating. But my thesis was a nightmare because of the long deadline. Until then, I could get by, since I, according to my psychologist, am ‘high-functioning’, most likely because of my high IQ. But I REALLY struggled with my final thesis, and now with job-hunting, that’s why I decided to go for a diagnosis. I was just lucky that I love learning and managed to get this far. But a month+week planner and erasable colour pens saved my skin when it came to tasks and homework/papers!

1 Like

i go college in Sweden, i got diagnosed at the end of november, so my first semester didn’t go well, i am still trying to find the right medication, the right routines etc. i would say i feel a bit afraid, yet hopeful. I am sure if i would have gotten all that figured out before starting it would have been much easier for me. the best advice i would give is go to all lectures, which is something that i am trying to achieve, not going at the first semester made me lazy and feel lost.

1 Like

I go to college in the US and in order to cope with ADHD I go and get help from the various centers on campus mainly writing help cause I always have a million billion thoughts and sometimes my writting can be a bit scattered brain and unorgainzed but the writting center helps me organize my thoughts and helps me come up with plans for various writting assingments,

1 Like

I get notes help. someone from my major writes notes for me.

1 Like

I can have a notetaker as well in my classes which can be an absolute life saver

1 Like

yeah it’s the best help that i got from college, i didn’t need to stress about not being able to write notes anymore.

1 Like

I dont use it though cause I havent needed to use it here in college yet cause the courses I am taking are a challenge but not a challenge in terms of note taking because I can do pretty well on my own. BUt in the past specfically when teachers did white board notes is where the struggle is cause its a ton of audio imput to translate to papper or to type it just did not work out well until I got to use have another students notes.

1 Like