Adhd friendly job after highschool

What ADHD-friendly jobs I can get for personal finance? Part-time. I want to become somewhat independent before I get any degree. I don’t fear hard work, I fear silly mistakes and judgment.

Well, that depends.

I have the Inattentive presentation, so until I finally got diagnosed and onto ADHD meds that work for me, I did best at jobs that worked with my short attention span:

• Retail sales (I did alright later in retail management, but needed reminders often)
  • Tutoring
  • Computer tech support

I also did well with things that involved a lot of novelty (all the more reason why I did well at tech support).

If you can do something that you find interesting, that works well (or mostly well) with your ADHD traits, then go with that.

The founder and host of the How To ADHD channel on YouTube, Jessica McCabe, worked as a waitress before she was able to support herself based on her channel’s Patreon.

I’ve known of people with the Hyperactive-Impulsive ADHD traits who did very well with work that keeps their bodies moving. Their hyperkinetic tendencies can be a benefit (like my novelty-seeking does for solving technical problems).

What interests you?
What are the career fields your are interested in?

2 Likes

Tutoring, Any job using my hyperkinetic tendencies, or Novel. I have not tutored anyone and also I have self-esteem problems. But still, being a tutor feels like my go-to option or teacher’s assistant is a good option too. When I was in school I used to teach my peers when they faced any difficulty. As I do not come from privileged background our tutors weren’t good at teaching. My classmates used to copy my answers so instead of helping them cheat I taught them any topic they were facing difficulty in so I was actually helping their grades. Therefore I didn’t face any problems making friends even if it is common with adhders. I feel I can teach anyone biology/ organic chem to middle school students. I have a high IQ and I have developed some good learning strategies unknowingly I have ADHD symptoms. Thanks!

2 Likes

I really enjoyed my time as a tutor. I didn’t ever consider it as an option, but put in for it because I was in the right place at the right time and was encouraged by my wife to put in for it. (We were in our first year of marriage at the time.)

• I had a lot of self-doubt at the time. She knew I was capable. (After all, we first met in 8th Grade, when she sat down next to me in Algebra; I would help explain the lessons to her, because I caught on quickly, and she had the worst view of the chalkboard.)

After a long time and a lot of pondering, I finally figured out what the jobs I’ve done well at (retail sales, tutoring, tech support) all have in common. After all, they seem to all be different career fields.

It’s basically two things:

• First, particular to me because of my ADHD, they work well with my Inattentive traits (i.e. short attention span).
  • The other thing they have in common is that they all fit with my core work motivation: I LIKE HELPING PEOPLE!

Maybe that helps you, maybe it doesn’t. I have lots of interests, so picking work based of interest doesn’t work for me. All the same, these points may help you:

• What interests you (in general)?
  • What career fields are you interested in?
  • What motivates you to get things done?
  • When you have felt really satisfied by doing something or accomplishing something, what made you feel that way?
  • What are your gifts, talents, skills?

Also, this is an extremely important point:
"Do not let Imposter Syndrome stop you!* * There is always a learning curve.
*'Everyone has to start somewhere, and nobody knows everything about their job at first. Even the people who seem like they were born for the role had to deal with mistakes and insecurity when they first started.

• It takes time to grow into the work that you do. Don’t be self-critical… you’ll get it, it like Edison with the light bulb, you’ll figure out things that don’t work well for you.
2 Likes

Thank you, sir! You are really supportive. If I’ll start earning I’ll go for tutoring. Even if doesn’t get success I will try at least. I really like helping people. And I like to brainstorm on any research. I think If there’s something to find out and it’s interesting then no one can stop me. It’s like I don’t stop until I found it out. These are two of my traits or strengths. Your love story seems interesting BTW :grin:

1 Like

Thank you. I think my love story with her is beautiful and intricate. (Maybe worthy of a memoir someday.)

Sadly, after 20 years married, she divorced me this last winter. (She fell in love with someone she met online, even though she wasn’t looking, it just “happened”. But those kinds of relationships rarely last. — So, I’m not so sure that our story is quite over yet…)

1 Like

Ohh I feel sorry for that😥

It’s okay.

I’ve had months to get used to the changes. (I still don’t like it.)

But I’m also a hopeful optimist, idealistic at heart. I see a possibility that we can be together again.

In the meantime, our youngest kids still need us both. And so, my focus is on them, on being the best dad I can be, providing and guiding them. It’s to their benefit that I know so much more about ADHD now. (After all, they have signs of ADHD, too.)

1 Like

Appreciate the candor in sharing your story. It is this type of openness that makes this forum such a valuable resource and friendly “neighborhood”!

Thank you @j_d_aengus

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

@j_d_aengus @Brooklyn Please tell me should I try stand-up comedy? I like to do and I recently tried writing comedy and I realized for a beginner it should be very good to start with this level of quality. Stand-up comedy is a vigorously growing thing in India due to social media platforms. I have a deep love for comedy. Like comedy is in my skin. I’m very comfortable with it. And for my racing mind, I think it should be very ideal. When I think of any job I start to panic if I would be able to do that or not. But with comedy, I never think that way. Various adhders are writers and artists, writers. I don’t like to write stories and stuff. I like to write poetry somehow and I’m not very good at it because I think my vocabulary is not developed. But as I have good knowledge of diverse topics, I think it helps me to write comedy. I think it would be a good idea. I think this is the thing I’m good at. I will have to train my mind more for it of course and it’s not gonna be easy. But this idea does not haunt me.

2 Likes

If you want to give stand-up comedy a try, then go for it. It is not for everyone (certainly not for me).

From my understanding, stand-up comedy is made up of different parts: writing jokes, creating a routine, practicing/rehearsing the routine, and delivering it to a live audience.

On joke writing, I’m sure there’s lots of advice, both good and bad.

I found the following advice attributed to Jerry Seinfeld pretty easily:

A quick Google search gave me tons of results (with numbered steps) on how to write jokes, but the most important part is to do it!

Another well known piece of advice I’ve read about “how to write funnier jokes” (which I think is also attributed to Jerry Seinfeld, or maybe it was Jay Leno, but it’s true enough no matter who wrote it) is to write every day. (Set aside some time to Expect that you will write a lot of jokes that aren’t very funny, in order to come up with the ones that are spectacularly funny! Don’t let the bad ones keep you from writing the good ones.

Any good joke has a bit of spontaneity to it, a bit of unexpectedness, and I think that goes back to the joke’s origin. The good ones just show up. (The lesser jokes can still fit into a routine, to keep the flow going. Like ingredients in a meal, not every ingredient is the star of the dish, but they help bring the whole dish together.)

I’m usually really bad at telling jokes, myself. I normally do “dad jokes” at home, and I like puns/plays on words. I like that @Brooklyn and other Brains here bring some puns to the forum.

If you have a comfort with telling jokes, if you want to beat stand-up comic Atharva (@crisis ), then I encourage you to give it a try.

And who knows, maybe your poetry can even a be part of your routine…

2 Likes

@j_d_aengus @Brooklyn Please tell me should I try stand-up comedy?

That depends . . .

Some years ago, at a monthly meeting of :brain::brain::brain: (and ADHD professionals) we had a “talent night” which had been on the calendar for months. Some months earlier my son, unbeknownst to me: “My Dad said he could do stand-up comedy”!

Well come that talent night I was sitting next to my adult son (also a :brain:) when the facilitator of the group came over to me and said: “Josh said you’re going to do stand up tonight”! I suggested “NO” but she insisted and went on to announce to the entire audience: “And now we are going to have Barry do some stand-up comedy”.

Well, I could not resist the limelight! and impulsively just went up front.

Standing in front of the group, all 6’5" of me, I said the obvious: "well folks you can see that I’m pretty tall . . . In fact when I was born the doctor took one look at me “coming into the world” . . . then he started walking backwards while motioning with his arms (as if he was directing an airplane to the hanger) . . . repeating instructions . . . “OK keep him coming . . . bring him back . . .” etc. As I spoke those lines I walked backwards, motioning with my arms. The audience laughed. So I continued.

I next told a couple of jokes, some getting a big laugh and others not such a big laugh. I then turned to one of my strengths, i.e. rapidly creating puns based upon suggested topics. Not a day goes by when I don’t throw out a number of puns based upon conversations I am involved with. So I said:

“So give me a topic . . . anything”. Somebody then threw out the word “fish”. Without waiting I came back with: “OK I’ll take the bait . . . I’m hooked . . . for reel . . . I hope I won’t flounder . . . If I do that would probably be a fluke . . .” (etc.)

Other suggestions were offered . . . So I extemporaneously came up with puns, embedded in comments, which the group found funny.

Once in a research class in graduate school the professor asked a question regarding a typical person who was grieving. “How do we measure grief?” she asked. She went on to suggest that people who are grieving generally cry. So what if the tears were collected in a graduated vial, like used in chemistry? I immediately commented out loud: “I think that would be a vile method!” She then came back, immediately: "Barry, if from your punish head . . . Another pun is shed . . . you should be punish-shed!

That was the last time I made a pun in her class.

I forgot to mention that when I stood up to go up front and do my thing, my son pulled on my shirt sleeve and said: “Dad, you’re going to make a fool of yourself”.

After my 3 to 5 minute monologue I came back, sat down next to my son and said: “So how do you think I did” . . . he smiled, nodded affirmation and said: “Not bad . . . not bad at all!”
now keep in mind that I was appearing before a sympathetic audience, people who knew me.

Earlier you wrote: “I don’t fear hard work, I fear silly mistakes and judgment.”

I think you have to take that into account before standing up in front of strangers and hoping that they will laugh. As for judgment that’s what what audiences do . . . on the spot . . . “is this guy funny or not” and their response positive, negative or silence will follow. Some nights will be a success and others not so much!"

but if you are willing to make a fool of yourself I say go ahead and do what your heart tells you to do!

:sunglasses:

2 Likes