Anxiety for a long period of time , causing depression

I have experienced a lot of anxiety over a long period of time ( several months ) becoming overwhelmed, eventually resulting in depression, sad intense thoughts.

Is this a possible characteristic of ADHD ?
A girl agreed with me .

1 Like

Possibly!

If your anxiety was not a problem before a few months ago . . . than I would doubt that ADD was the basis for your anxiety. While anxiety and depression are frequently comorbid with ADD, ADHD generally is a problem from childhood. Then again, maybe you do have ADD and recent stressors, combined with your ADD, is causing anxiety.

Stick around here and perhaps others will have some other ideas!

2 Likes

Thanks @Brooklyn . I was told I had severe generalised anxiety disorder in spring 2014, and the same at my ADHD assessment in August 2020, from a psychiatrist.

I have a cold .

1 Like

OK. Now I better understand.

Like I said . . . keep in touch!

And I hope your cold goes away ASAP . . .

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi @ALADDIN,

Please excuse the ramble, TL;DR: I seem to be getting “episodes” around August, that though undiagnosed (because I don’t get around to doing much about it) do seem to be getting more intense, even on ADHD medication. so +1 ish to your sample set.

After listening to Huberman podcast one hypothesis of mine is that after all the anxiety ridden worrying is done with the little Dopamine and Adrenaline and one other feel good hormone Acetylcholine, there are no more happiness molecules left in the system hence the depression kicks in.

Although this week’s Hidden Brain was a heartening take on anxiety and what one might do about it … A Better Way to Worry | Hidden Brain Media

and the Huberman lab on Nicotine (the other ADHD self medicating stimulant) talks at length about the feel good arrow model … Nicotine's Effects on the Brain & Body & How to Quit Smoking or Vaping - Huberman Lab

I’ve not had an official anxiety or depression diagnosis, yet. I do know my mother who is 77 has been diagnosed with anxiety and personally in the last couple of years there is a time in and around the end of August when I get really detached and start feeling disconnected (depression being a lack of sensation) then spring finally arrives (I’m in the southern hemisphere) and things start looking rosier (figuratively and literally).

I also recently (mid May) got onto Dexamphetamine Sulphate and initially the bursts of euphoria from just walking into a nice shop (ok, a chocolate shop) or getting a job finished were amazing. But I think by August whatever was making things good was also compounding and it did not stop the black dog rising.

I do hope you can ride this wave out and see the other side, if not more sides.

The more sides . . . if they’re there . . . the better. A multifaceted situation spreads the risk, has a better chance for positive change, and promotes different strategies to help achieve change . . . all of which increases the chance that some things, most things . . . or the whole enchilada . . . can be improved!

1 Like

I normally have low-level anxiety on a regular basis, but it increases with life events. The longer that my anxiety is elevated, the more it grows. It’s the snowball effect.

The sooner that I can deal with the stressor du jour then the sooner that my anxiety levels can deflate back down to normal everyday low-level anxiety for me.

I don’t experience depression nearly as regularly as I do anxiety, and the only thing I know triggered a depression was major relationship issues. (That was how I experienced the worst depression of my life, and I was grieving the relationship.)

I did experience a mild depression recently, while going through a long job hiatus.
At the moment, I’m not certain if that recent bout of depression was caused by anxiety. The depression lifted as slowly as it had developed.

What I can tell for sure is that I feel much better to be working again.

• I’m 8 days into a Walmart cashier job. It’s not my favorite job ever, but I’m still enjoying it somewhat. However, I am really grateful for it. It doesn’t pay very well, but low pay is far better than no pay.
2 Likes

It depends. It becomes more probable when you had a few other symptoms as well since childhood. Impulsivity, short attention span (is also prevalent in depression so be careful), you get distracted easily, dysregulated emotions- intense anger over minor things, disorganization -chaos everywhere-, no sense of time (always running late), hyperactivity, always fidgety or moving your feet, you can not sit still for a long time, your thoughts jump from one point to the other, so you loose track of what you thought about in the beginning and many more…

1 Like