Any Fellow Atheist ADHDer's?

Yup here from India

Oh wow! I didn’t expect so many responses!

@Pizzatom52 - I get it. However, if you see it from our side, you can see how having a knee jerk reaction to us hurts. I’ve been told to my face that because I don’t believe nothing I do matters, I’m a terrible person, and I have no morals.

@StillADHD - I have my reasons as well. So much so that I’m attempting a blog because I get asked that question so many times. https://heathenhomie.wordpress.com/ I need to get back on it.

That notion of “losing your faith” that you’re leading the current top article with always confuses me. I never lost my faith. I just don’t place it in abstract entities outside of our reality anymore.

That thing about the two creations goes even further. In Genesis 1, God creates all the animals including humans on the same day (that’s day 5, right?) and then he creates the first man after that. There are different words for them in the original text and I think it’s assumed that Adam was supposed to be the first self-aware man as opposed to all the ding-dongs who came before. So why did he have to have a woman cut out of his ribs? Maybe the other ones just weren’t smart enough to stand up to him, being of the ding-dong variety, or maybe the rib thing just means one of them picked up some of his swagger. (There’s an easy pun in there somewhere. Also, a “mansplaining” joke.) In German, we have the expression “zur Brust nehmen”, “take someone to the breast” which means to lecture/straighten out someone.

I used to enjoy driving these kind of interpretations from old texts before organized religion became all toxic and young-earth creationy. But there’s some good stuff in there if you don’t follow the canon.

Yeah, I never really had it but I worded that way due to my family. I have some family members I’m planning to show them this blog. However, if I stated that outright they would blame my mom for not teaching me and that would be unfair to her. I’m also Hispanic so the family thing is really big.

I’ll have to have a look when I get home (just taking quick break at work while waiting for tests to run). Also, I hadn’t connected you with Discord until I saw the URL.

Heh, yeah. It doesn’t update here with the Discord name. I wish it would.

I consider myself as atheist and agnostic, as long as you can be both at the same time. They don’t exclude each other

Cool, I am starting to follow your blog and looking forward to read. I am just staring my own blog, and there will definitely be some thoughts on religion sooner or later.
Well, I am trying to follow you, but there seems to be an issue. Will figure it out…
Oh, here is my blog.
https://marcoaleman.home.blog/

Atheist you don’t believe in God. Agnostic, you have no knowledge of God.

I know that :slight_smile:

Awesome! And in order to follow your blog I had to go to the Word Press Reader and input the URL then hit follow under where you put in the link.

That also gives me some accountability to start writing again.

Must have been a problem with my laptop, on another device I could follow you.
Let us keep pressure on each other to not procrastinate and keep it up. I plan at least one article per week and got a few ideas what to write about next. Hopefully on Saturday I will upload something.
Looking forward to read more from you.

I was thinking about an upload schedule. I know I have to think how it’s going to be when I go back to work but maybe every Friday.

Same for me. But I am pretty sure sooner or later I won’t stick to it. I made list of possible topics or essays, so I have like a little treasure chest. There are about 25 ideas in there, so at one a week that should keep me afloat for almost half a year. By the way, y newest piece is up, hopefully to be followed up this weekend, since it is a long one for us.

Oh snap! I need to write. I’m on vacation from work and made Friday my errand day so I didn’t do much.

I am an atheist I guess, which is to say I don’t believe in any deities, nor anything continuous about the self after death. The universe is a wonder, but it is not governed by some deity and shit, even if it was, we would not be special to it. Such vain creatures.

Even so, skepticism can become a affliction that hurts one just like blind or fanatical religion can hurt someone. (Not saying that’s all religion; we all know the extremes I am referring to.)

Here is one of the best quotes I’ve ever read on this topic, of going beyond negative skepticism:

Believe as many true things as possible, and as few false things as possible

— Matt Dillahunty

That quote is a good nudge, anyways. Perhaps it can be balanced with the Kurt Vonnegut quote that joshuamneff mentioned, above.

Skepticism is a method not a destination. To be a skeptic should not be to shut it all down, but to keep asking. To stay curious. Rigorously curious, if you have the drive for it.

It is important to be curious, open, questioning, and empathetic. It is important to ponder, and to meet wonder and mystery. Those of us who cannot muster belief in deities might have to try a little extra to find these. It’s worth it.

Connecting this back to ADHD, novelties and things to ponder (“brain food”) should not be denied. But, we can have too much of that. It is important to dig in as well. Angela Duckworth compels people to “substitute novelty for nuance”, and for ADHDers this can be the difference between despair and wonder, on a given day.

Lastly (sorry for the ramble, I ramble) — I don’t believe in any anthropomorphic kind of spirituality, auras, etc., either. But I find it is a good thing to be able to suspend disbelief to enjoy any work of fiction or imagination, especially to be able to meet the truth that is in it. And on the spiritual side of things, I have been greatly enjoying re-reading Inner Engineering by Sadhguru. It was mentioned in a comment on Hacker News, and I am so glad to have encountered it. Such a joyous and invigorating book.

I know this kind of a weird stance and maybe it can only be born from being raised entirely absent of the concept of religion (it took me until the first years to elementary school to grasp that people believed in a god), but I just don’t think it is an important question. My personal logic goes as follows: If there isn’t a god, well then okay. If there is a god, well then he created me so my reaction to him is on him. If there is a god that demands all sorts of ritualistic behavior and adulation, well then I was created by a confusingly evil force and I don’t know how to deal with. So I’ll just ignore it until I die and deal with it then.

That’s basically how I feel about it. Like, I’m open to the possibility of a god but until evidence presence itself of one I’m not going to worry about it.

Since the day I was born, but de-cloaked my Atheism about twelve-ish years ago.

I’m not an Atheist even though I believe that science and evidence is the most important factors to determine how we came to be and the best step forward.

I’m Episcopalian, Catholic Light as told by Robin Williams, I’ll link his stuff at the end:

I never gave up the Episcopal Church… I never saw or thought there was a good reason to ever give it up.

These people that I grew up with never once made me feel bad for doing the wrong things. They never told me that we needed to repent all our sins and say homosexuality is wrong or restrict people’s views. Never in my life have I been shellshocked so much to hear all the different viewpoints about being a christian… until I heard all the differences between the Episcopal views vs other christians.

Generic feeling on perceived Non-Episcopal Christians who force their way of life on others:

• Where do these people get off telling others how they should live their lives?
  • What purpose does it serve to tell people what they can or cannot do?
  • Why is there so much guilt tripping people?

Hearing all that… I totally get why atheists question religion. There is some really horrible and nasty things that the big profile religions do and I wish I could change people to have my viewpoints or beliefs…

But in the end, that goes completely against what my religion has taught me!

There are times in my life where I honestly believe there is God who looked after me. There are around 3 times in my lifetime of 34 years where there were WAY TOO MANY coincidences to happen that something incredible has happened in my life.

I can’t prove there is a God. But I can believe it. And that’s why I don’t give it up.

That’s as much as I can speak on the topic. I don’t like getting into religion talk or talking about my beliefs. It’s a small, yet very fundamental foundation of my life and to steer too much time into trying to make a change or shake my foundation could very change the person I am today.

And I don’t want that.

As promised, here’s Robin Williams stuff :slight_smile:

And his top 10 reasons:

1. No snake-handling.
    1. You can believe in dinosaurs.
    1. Male and female God created them; male and female we ordain them.
    1. You don’t have to check your brains at the door.
    1. Pew aerobics.
    1. Church year is color-coded.
    1. Free wine on Sunday.
    1. All of the pageantry – none of the guilt.
    1. You don’t have to know how to swim to get baptized.
    1. No matter what you believe, there’s bound to be at least one other Episcopalian who agrees with you.

Greetings from a monk with ADHD