Any fellow sibs on here??

For those of you who don’t know, ‘sibs’ is the term often used to refer to siblings of children with disabilities.

Anyways, I know this isn’t technically the place for this but, as far as I know, there’s no forum for sibs and anyway this community has been so accepting and welcoming of basically anything so yeah…

Any fellow sibs in here?? Coz it’s been on my mind recently coz I was asked for advice on how to help sibs (and it’s something I’m passionate about coz I feel like we’re so underrepresented y’know??) so yeah…

I keep losing my train of thought but that’s basically it I believe.

Anyways, yeah

I have a psychology talk coming up and I might do mine or either ADHD or sibs. Tbh I’m thinking sibs coz I feel like I know more about that???

But anyways, ima stop. Bye!

I’m an older sister of two brothers with autism - both opposite ends of the spectrum! One is savant and selective mute with severe anxiety, the other is non-verbal with complex learning disabilities and epilepsy. It certainly has its own challenges! Including being a young carer when I was in school.

I’ve found that there isn’t much out there in terms of support groups for sibs. What’s always bothered me is that people don’t understand how we face our challenges. For parents who have children with disabilities, their lives change and they have to redefine what is ‘normal’, what their life is like, etc. For siblings, we just grow up with it and have never known any different. That doesn’t make it any easier for us than it does for parents.

How have you experienced it? I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Yeah. I’m the oldest of two but it’s only my brother (who’s 18months younger than me) who has SEN so both my sister and I are sibs. I can’t speak for her but I can say that, for me, it’s very frustrating to have basically no place for us. One charity, one forum filled with a bunch of under-10 year olds (which is annoying for me coz I’m 16 so my natural older sister response kicks in and I feel like I can’t share as much as I would like) and a handful of YouTube videos is not really much tbh and it upsets me because I know for a fact that had there been a forum like this one for sibs when I was younger - or even now tbh - it would’ve made me feel less alone.

I spent my teen years not telling anyone about my struggles. During my A levels, my brother was in crisis (and ended up being sectioned) and I couldn’t study because of it. I felt like I couldn’t tell anyone and I held it all in because nobody would understand anyway. I really hope it’s changed in the 10 years since that happened to me, although it doesn’t sound like it has. There needs to be more awareness of the issues that siblings grow up with, so we don’t always feel so alone.

I think people just often don’t consider us, not out of malevolence or anything like that but simply because we’re the ‘normal’ ones and so kinda get forgotten coz we don’t have their issues y’know??