Anyone interested in starting a PenPal group or Young Adult Book Club?

Hi,

One of my many hobbies (sound like anyone?) is writing to people. I had a penpal last year but lost touch. I realized that I love writing and receiving mail. This website has made me feel important, present, and known without this site. I would say that I had no way to feel less alone. Thank you for this site. I would love to provide this idea with the acknowledgment that it may not last. What are your guy’s thoughts?

3 Likes

If it were digital pen pals it would work for me. I suck at handwriting and I am so forgetful about postage and actual mail.

3 Likes

I could be interested in an Old And Worn Out Adult Book Club! :smiley:

But I tend to read some pretty random stuff, mostly based around whatever I’m currently hyperfocussing on…

2 Likes

I dont see why it could not be a digital.

3 Likes

I love the idea of a book club. What do you mean about “pretty random stuff”.

1 Like

I was referring to me being an old and worn out adult, rather than a young adult. :grimacing:

I get into a lot of historical fiction, sci-fi, classic literature, alternative history, that sort of thing.

But for the last little while, I’ve been mainly into non-fiction. Stuff like gardening and lanscaping, history, science, electronics, computers, nano technology, law, philosophy, hardware/software interfacing, aerodynamics and aviation, business, mechanical engineering, metallurgy.

Basically whatever my flavour of the moment is. Or whichever direction the wind is blowing for the next five minutes.

1 Like

I’d be down then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Renaissance man that you are my friend! Wish I could read 1/10 in books . . . of the number of topics that you have listed. :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t messing about when I said “random”.

I started off with Tin Tin comics, then Asterix. Both got me into history, and I just kept reading. I got into sci-fi in high school. “War of the Worlds” started me off a couple of years earlier, but it was only in high school that I got right into it.

As a loner at school, I would get into a book whenever I had a chance. And growing up in the outback, we only had one TV station (when we had TV at all), or shortwave radio.

I mostly read at work now, on the way to or from the job, on breaks etc. These days, I just download a book onto my phone, and bang out a few minutes of reading whenever I can.

It beats Facebook every time.

Not sure how I manage to concentrate as well as I do, sometimes I’ll only get through the first part, but will get bored and ditch the book.

I did try “War and Peace” once, but only once. Too much for me… I keep meaning to give it another try, it’s on the list.

If I’m in hyperfocus mode, I can read half a dozen books on a subject I’m researching, quite quickly.

The funny thing is, that in High School, I had a perverse pride in never reading a single fiction book that I was told to by the teachers. I’d just bluff the answers. Weird kid.

1 Like

That sounds familiar . . . in a somewhat tangential way!

For one book we were given freedom of our own choice and then had to write a “book report” addressing specific questions. So, I invented a book (talk about “fiction” :joy:) and therefore invented the report. I think my teacher was suspicious when she commented that, as many books and authors that she knew of, “somehow” she had “never heard of that book or that author”! :flushed::flushed::disappointed_relieved::anguished::lying_face:

I was relieved that she did not ask me to bring in the book!!

2 Likes

Great! How would you like to start?

1 Like

Would e-mail work? Feel free to send a letter/note that way. It is my username @gmail.com. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You may want to set up a closed or private google group for this. Either to talk about specific books or set up pen pals or whatever.

1 Like

Hi, I’d love a pen pal! I’m also open to the idea of a book club, but I’ll admit this: I don’t read that often, it usually depends on my mood. But a pen pal sounds cool. I used to have one but I lost touch for some reason. Feel free to send a note or letter at yoprantik67@gmail.com

1 Like