Anyone love Maths

I live in the UK. I studied Maths at university . I love Economics, computer programming . Statistics, manipulating data is useful !

I got an A in Maths A Level.

I have dyspraxia, ADHD and aspergers traits .

A few people with aspergers excel in Maths.

How do feel find Maths ?

2 Likes

Interpreting your question . . .

I am not and never was strong in math. In college I took 1 required course. I don’t know what I was thinking when I chose calculus! It was rare that I was able to complete any of the required problems and come up with any answer. The professor recognized my lack of ability, was charitable and gave me a passing grade . . . which ironically was a “C” . . . I thought it appropriately stood for “Charity” (on the professor’s part).

Strange is that my son (he & I are both ADHD) is a math-wiz!

:sunglasses:

1 Like

I do love Maths (although in the US we refer to it as Math). It’s my best academic subject. Whenever I re-enroll so that I can finally finish my Bachelor’s Degree, I plan to change my major back to Mathematics.

I work in Information Technology, and the university where I work has a “Computation option” for the Math degree (and I’ve already completed the requirements for a Computer Science minor).

Now that I know that I have ADHD, and I’m getting treatment for it, I think I’ll finally be able to finish the degree. Changing majors to my best subject will help me finish stronger.

I think that the reason I’m so good at Math is because it seems like I’m playing with puzzles, so it’s fun for my brain. Statistics is not so easy for me (I haven’t figured out why that is yet), and I will have to complete a statistics course.

I’ve been through five majors, totaling about 8 years of undergraduate studies, and still haven’t finished a degree. My majors were: Aerospace Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Architecture, Mathematics, and Computer Engineering.
While I love the idea of engineering and computer programming, I’m not as adept at either as I had hoped. I’m good at working with operating systems and software, and I have a fairly good understanding of data and databases, so now I work as an Application Administrator (a systems administrator for a web application).

3 Likes

My wife’s ex-boss is a bit of a coffee wanker and somehow I have found myself perusing this today:

Apparently because optometry includes uni level maths and physics and he thought I could parse it for him😱

1 Like

… autism spectrum … 'nuff said …

I am sure that, some day, I will prove the validity of one or another of the outstanding conjectures regarding an effective twin-primes sieve. Some day.

4 Likes

I love maths! :heart: It really helps me disconnect from the world and just focus on the numbers - perfect for whenever my anxiety gets to be a bit much. I used to consider myself quite good at it, but recently that confidence has been shattered.

I was and still am very quick to pick up on concepts and how to apply them. However, try to explain it for with a lecture and I won’t understand (I will most likely lose focus). That’s why I love my current school, we have no maths lectures, instead we get to work individually and ask for help from the teacher whenever we get stuck (they do hold quick lectures on concepts if too many are asking about the same thing or if someone ask). I learn through applying it - I read the basics, look at an example and run straight at it. You could see this part as running up a hill (steepness depends on how hard you consider it). Hard at the beginning, but smooth sailing down once you’ve reached the top. Though some might consider my methods weird, it works for me so :woman_shrugging:

I used to be really bad at problem solving, but have steadily getting better at it since beginning my medication. I love working with probability, trigonometry, and quadratic functions/equation, Pretty basic stuff, but I am still just in Gymnasium.

Sorry for ranting a bit, but I am surrounded by people that hate maths and I while I respect their wrong :eyes: opinion, I do believe maths sits on a kind of pedestal for me, as it has become a coping thing.

2 Likes

There are several learning styles. I’m a multimodal learner; it helps me to see the example, hear the explanation, and take detailed notes… And then to apply the lesson as soon as possible.

Algebra is like a second language to me. I like Probability (though it doesn’t come to mind as easily) and Geometry (I do need references to the formulas).
I’ve never really liked Trig. While I can do Calculus all day long, I don’t get the same enjoyment that I do from Algebra and Geometry.
Differential Equations was painful for me to learn; it was just too foreign to me when I started learning it. I muddled my way through it, but I’d need a textbook to refer to if I had to do it again.

Algebra is like poetry to me. And I just ‘get’ Geometry because I think I’m 3D, which helps me to turn shapes and forms around in my head to get a better understanding of them.

3 Likes

Interesting list of study. Are you sure that Design / Strategy isn’t your jam? They all look like they have those couple of core elements to them.

M

2 Likes

It’s funny you should say that @AMAK. I took my current job as an Application Administrator for Microsoft Dynamics, because I want to be able to work in User Experience Design (UX/UXD).

After I took a break from studying Computer Engineering, while I was working in tech support, I realized that my interest in technology was mainly in User Interfaces (UI) and Usability. UX is the nexus of Strategy and Design, of Usability and UI.

In short, I want to make technology work better for people.

Looking back, I realize that my interest in User Interfaces started with Star Trek: The Next Generation, because of all the (simulated) computer interfaces they used on the show.

1 Like

@j_d_aengus

That is a nice focus. I spent a couple years working in computer privacy and we had a lot of people in that group who focused on User Experience. From a privacy perspective, a product has to be clear about what data it collects and how it is used (no surprises for the user).

I would think that if you want to go into any research-oriented UX work - with lots of user studies - then it might be useful to force yourself to get comfortable with the needed statistics. For some reason, statistics are still one area that I never felt as comfortable with. Like you, differential equations was another. I wonder if it has anything to do with them being less correct/incorrect in terms of approaches to solving problems?

1 Like

Remember the connect the dot drawings you got to do as a little kid? I hated the ones that went A-B-C, but absolutely loved the ones that went 1-2-3. I think that was a little foreshadowing of the rest of my life (Yes, I was on my high school math team). A university psychology professor was doing some research and had a whole bunch of twelve year olds take the SATs (college entrance exam for anyone not familiar with US education). He became an informal advisor for me when I later went to his university. He told me I was the most lopsided person he ever studied. Time has evened things out for me a bit since then, but there is a good reason why I’m a software engineer and not a journalist.

For me, the most interesting math subjects were those that I could apply in my life. Basic algebra seemed like common sense. Geometry was fun. Trigonometry was mostly fun, but became much more fun when I got into Calculus and saw how it fit together with everything else. But I never really enjoyed a lot of the higher math classes that would be required as a math major. And I had already decided by then that I liked telling computers what to do.

As somewhat of an aside, does it bother anyone else when you hear news reports about covid case numbers rising exponentially? I mean, they were rising exponentially for a while before the numbers really took off. That’s the way exponentials work. Before any of the US covid shutdowns, I saw an article that explained exponential growth quite nicely. It used the story of the water lilies that keep doubling every day, completely covering a lake in 48 days. The question then is, “After how many days is the lake 1/2 covered?” I didn’t think that example truly demonstrated exponential growth as well as it could with respect to covid, so I pointed out that if the lake was about the same size as someone’s property of ~6000 square feet (my apologies to everyone in parts of the world that use sane measuring units), then after 40 days the lilies would only cover an area about the size of a dining room table. They were growing exponentially the whole time, but the part that really jumps out to us humans is just those last several days.

2 Likes

Several years ago, I went to a talk by Temple Grandin at the Silicon Valley company where I was working at the time. I thought one of her comments was interesting, as she questioned what (large) percentage of people in tech in Silicon Valley are on the autism spectrum.

1 Like

I work with some very clever people. People that work at the speed that most people think. It’s one of the reasons I like going to work. Being in a room with people I know are smarter than me. One of the saddest days during my diagnosis was when the psyc told me that when I walk into a room that I am likely smarter than 85 percent of the people in it. I can’t spell and have the hand writing of an infant. But quite bright apparently.

The other thing that came with education about many things neurological is that you learn to recognise traits in other people. And the smartest of these people all seem to have a deficit somewhere. Be it social or behavioural. Being an ADHD kid I am lucky and have my own set of deficits without the hyper intelligence.

M

2 Likes

Yeah I like maths I’ve even had the privilege of having to learn it twice and for those of you that feel a little challenged with arithmetic and algebra, be aware maths is about patterns too like shapes and knots etc. have a listen to this particular episode of the numberphile podcast:
https://www.numberphile.com/podcast/roger-penrose

Or this one:
https://www.numberphile.com/videos/podcast-cliff-stoll

1 Like

I’m a senior software developer and I attribute my skills, 100% to ADHD. I think there are certain fields that those of us that are neuro-atypical excel at. I’m a software developer and I work at a large company that has hundreds of developers, system admins, network technicians, all that computer jazz. I can say that at least half of them, if not more, have some sort of learning disability, adhd, are on spectrum, etc… I have ADHD and my shrink says I’m probably a bit on spectrum/aspergers. I see a lot of folks that likely have aspergers (but I can’t ask of course), also ADHD is super common. For some reason transgender folks are really attracted to this profession as well. I wonder if that whole gender dysphoria (or whatever they call it) is related to learning disabilities as well? But I can say, for whatever reason, in my experience the transgender folks are some of the smartest techs I work with. This is just in my anecdotal experience so take it for what it’s worth. But I’d say most managers of IT/IS organizations are very comfortable with us weirdos because they already have tons of us working for them and we’re usually their top engineers. If you like math, DO MATH, then come work with us. You can do math all day long. :slight_smile:

2 Likes