Audiologist with ADHD

I stumbled upon the How To ADHD YouTube channel serendipitously. So great that it has a community too!

I’m a (soon-to-be) Doctor of Audiology who just found out that she has ADHD. It really surprised me at first because I’ve done very well academically and clinically, but now I feel amazed at how much of my life makes sense in light of being identified with ADHD. I got through so much schooling without ever having paid attention in class because no one cared so long as I was earning high scores on tests. When I reached a level of schooling where that wasn’t enough anymore, I became obsessively and rigidly organized with massive to-do lists, dozens of phone alarms, and multiple calendars, project management systems, and note taking systems…and I forced myself into using them by verbally abusing myself into doing so. Until I recently started taking Adderall, there wasn’t an item that went up on my Trello boards or an assignment completed without multiple rounds of telling myself how lazy, stupid, incompetent, and defective I was. I’ve gotten through my entire education by berating myself into giving the appearance of organization, responsibility, and executive function so that no one would know how hard it’s been to get any of my work finished. Everyone who works with me thinks I’m so organized and efficient. What they don’t know is how much torture I put myself through to give the appearance or organization, and I’m so efficient with my work because if I don’t do it the moment I know I’m supposed to, it won’t get finished at all.

I’m 96 days away from graduating with an Au.D. and becoming a practicing clinical audiologist, I’m working on a Ph.D. too, and I’m just now coming to see that life doesn’t have to be as difficult or miserable as it’s been. What a relief that is! But I’m still new to the idea of finding better ways of coping with my challenges than verbally abusing myself into some semblance of executive function, and that behavior is going to take a while to unlearn. Can anyone relate to this?

1 Like

Welcome to a friendly, supportive, and similar group of people. While we are all different one from the other in one or more respects we are very much alike. I am 73 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD when I was in my early 50s.

My 42-year-old son with ADHD was diagnosed at age 6. And his 11-year-old daughter was diagnosed with ADHD at age 9 I believe. It really does take one who walks in the same or similar shoes to understand!

Despite your ADHD you have done well academically. :+1:

If it were not for all the help that we got for my son early on I’m not sure what his life would be like today. Even though he thought of himself as “stupid“ and not college material, he is now an electrical engineer having completed college with a GPA of 3.97. Of course it took three different colleges and seven years to get there.

I too found this place accidentally. So glad that I did.

Best of luck to you in your career! Looking forward to hearing more about you. Have a great day or night as the case may be.

Barry

1 Like

Welcome, and thank you.

I hear a lot of what you’ve said about the verbal self flagellation from my son who is in final year of high school trying for medicine. He’s being really hard on himself and I worry it will form a foundation for years to come.

Although I’ve been honest with all my family I’m still not sure they get it, there is something different about us and it sounds like it takes a lot of discipline to make things seemingly normal.

I’ve only been here a few days now and it feels like a time I went to my first maths conference, refreshing to find ppl like me.

Good luck in the next three months.

Welcome and you can also help your paitention when you are done cause I am a young adult with two cochlear implants and I got dignosed early on due to issues acdemically speaking but I feel as if some students, parents ,etc. who are deaf and have cochlear implants could also have adhd. So you could totally help out a community that does struggle in school cause of their hearing loss but it could be more to that. I still do it from time to time mentally beating myself up for not doing as much as I could have done but I reconize it now and kindly stop it.

1 Like

Hi there! Didn’t mention this in my intro, but I’m also deaf and have two cochlear implants. My deafness is what got me into audiology. You’re absolutely right: we as a group definitely struggle with attention. I think my deafness is one of the reasons that the ADHD was missed.

2 Likes

Hey it’s nice to be connecting with someone similar to me also I did t
I did think about doing audiology as a career but I am unsure right now but if you asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I would have said an audiologist,
but I still have time to think about it I am just a freshman in college currently undecided but I am minoring in digital studies.

2 Likes

Let me know if you do start considering an audiology career at some point because even though there are challenges with being a deaf audiologist, there are so many gifts that I’ve found I can offer because of my personal experience. There aren’t that many of us in the profession, but we have a good network with each other and support each other very well. And I’m the head of a committee that’s developing resources for our community of deaf and hard of hearing audiologists and audiology students, so there are lots of supports out there even if they are not easy to find without knowing another deaf audiologist. Best of luck in whatever you do!

2 Likes

I can relate to a lot of what you shared, including not struggling academically at times and also militantly brow-beating myself to stay organized or get things done at times. I think it’s not uncommon for high functioning adults to deal with ADHD. For me it added a ton of perspective, and also explained why, even though I could do well, some parts of it were so hard. Usually the parts that didn’t need to be.

Happy you’ve got new insight. Hopefully it serves well as you move forward!

1 Like