Book recommendations

I am looking for advice on where to start with book resources. I am 31 and more than likely undiagnosed with ADHD. I also know that my daughter at this point is likely undiagnosed ADHD. My wife and I are in the process of getting both of those undiagnosed statuses changed.

In the mean time, I am looking for books to use as good resources both for my own health and for that of my daughter.

I’ve already ordered Driven to Distraction by Dr. Hallowell, but then got intimidated by the volume of work from Dr. Barkely. I need some help figuring out where to start, and what are good resources for both myself as a someone living with ADHD and as the parent of a child with ADHD.

Thank you all. Finding this channel and community has already given me such an incredible sense of peace and understanding about who I am and why I think, feel, and do the things that I do.

I just picked up Queen of Distraction, which is about ADHD in women, primarily. may be helpful for how you relate to your daughter. I haven’t read a TON of it, but it’s good so far. But I’m definitely going to follow this thread for some more suggestions.

Unrelated to ADHD, specifically, but still ones I found helpful (and you may, as well), are Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking (if any of you are introverts), and then the Four Tendencies book. I am a “rebel”, and I get really frustrated at myself for my knee-jerk rejection when people (including myself) tell me what to do. Combine that with emotional dysregulation and you’ve got some pretty good tantrums on your hands. So understanding how to manage my rebellious tendency and understanding that I have a problem regulating my anger right off the bat helps me not get into so many fights on the internet. :grimacing: Or if I do get into a fight I can disengage more easily.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&rlz=1CACLSF_enUS812US812&q=The+survival+guide+for+kids+with+ADD+or+ADHD&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAG2TPY_TMBjHyXDozu1JR04sEUIRQogBqY3rvLEihJA4IcENbFEdx2kS20kbq4n7MU7iCyCx8UXoB2BkuO1mFkaup8YugvHnx_75__jl-OgJmPDJNIjjtELwMSta6dbUpXNeMOXSgnF3ThbExXVdtVtrPMknHsScq3TJDQaJV6mtdaDSNcFWZe6ZqRAuAri1Tnfo0Q3F0GuDrXWyW5pPPbwcatjnyE9Iv9ciOY3bxVBcpCUql2RjvETliBlUEC3VgN00irt1skcPddFM-aYb0ZTxam2Qr30e6Rgd7UjJVgOnfhv70YwO3eZrNNOxcLikyKPKsJAhysXQg2IUJ3qjhvJkc5C5SmHfD4jKPPJFrk-qVH5I-oPQofD69ZAiXZJO6ogeT9Z5T0zkWeMJGJkUKYqMyMdkoy8Pw004TAyqBvu5XiXKuBmOcCYTKRTc12DTy-bgddBEYn3lQUdxWcVmv5lYhUxbOYHo2vpljc5ufv88d26sq2_ff1jXFjh7V9dtxtSHjM1lRi5r-xm4_1rIQir7ETh17l4MLiMOn99zRsCg_dUCo4-ZvKwvalJQZX-27Kv_-Z5qnwPGzvFOsIhjcasDQJP96W_ZW_sNOLnIOM5W7XtqvwTgVc1YlsqiFvYL8NB5MEn1wOTu29wKz8G_w-MvR-fmb7m0XrlVQdo_lCfrwZMDAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiL9r7X8PDgAhVyuVkKHe_NAE8Q-BYIMA
Good Books!!! :grin::grin:

expessaly the the thriving with ADHD workbook I have it and it is AWESOME!!!:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

Hey Kate! Maybe you could write the titles as well, rather than just hugely long sections of random characters…?:sweat_smile:

Check out books by Ari Tuckman he writes the books so that the ADHD brained can easily use them.

Thank you all for the feedback. I went ahead and have ordered Driven to Distraction, Taking Charge of ADHD, and The Survival Guide for Kids with ADHD just to get started. I will be looking more into the other titles recommended.

SORRY I JUST AM SO HAPPY TO HELP PEOPLE!!!:grin::grin::grin::grin:

While wating for a therapy window, I read “Fast Minds: How to Thrive if you Have ADHD (or Think you Might)” by Craig Surman and Tim Bilkey and then “ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize your Life” by Judith Kolberg and Kathleen Nadeau. Both are bursting with promising strategies, but the latter presented them in a matter that, to me, felt more engaging and inspiring. I do like using “fast minds” rather than “ADHD” because it does describe the condition in a manner that doesn’t have “deficit” in it. Although it’s also an acronym for something and that’s where it got boring.

Being a German, I also read “Dinge geregelt kriegen ohne einen Funken Selbstdisziplin” (roughly, “Getting Things Done without the Slightest Bit of Self-discipline”) by Kathrin Passig and Sascha Lobo which is more on the Feel-God-About-it side than the strategic side. It’s more about promoting procrastination as a way of life. Funny as heck, though.

I still have “You Mean I’m Not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?!” and “What Does Everybody Else Know That I Don’t?” on my wish list because the titles speak to me (especially the latter one is a question that I’ve been asking myself all my adult life). Also, the above-mentioned “Quiet” because, yeah, that’ an issue for me as well.

cool your German because I an Half German