"brain pockets"

So i’m not sure if this is a new idea or not but something useful i have recently discovered are something I’m calling “brain pockets”
fairly self explanatory for most of you i would think, especially if you read my other post, but just in case here is a brief description of what i have been doing.

so i have started categorising new things in my head and placing them together in imaginary pockets within my head, so for example i have a pocket for physical things i need to get, i visualise putting those things into the pocket, imagining what those things would look like next to eachother and how it might feel or sound and now and then I get the things out of that pocket to remind myself what is in there, before putting them back in again, and once i get that item and no longer need to remember it, i just imagine removing that item from the brain pocket and throwing it away.

probably sounds pretty strange to most people, but i think you guys will get it, and hopfully find this useful too.

be interesting to hear how any of you get on with it, whether it works for you or not and also feel free to ask any questions, also if you have heard of this trchnique before could you let me know, so i can look into it further, thanks :+1:

one tip i will add is that its important to regularly check the brain pockets because if i leave it too long i do find that when i go back to check thr pocket, it’s empty :joy: i think the key is turning it into a regular habbit, the sane way you check your key pocket and phone pocket before leaving the house or moving from one place to another :grin:

2 Likes

It sounds similar in concept to the “method of loci”, which I’ve read Roman senators would memorize long speeches. They would visualize walking around on a path in a garden, or room to room in a house, with some visual clue of the next part of the speech at each consecutive stop on their route.

On the BBC show “Sherlock”, the modern day adaptation of Sherlock Holmes (starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes and Martin Freeman as Watson), this method is used. On the show, Sherlock refers to his visualization as his “mind mansion”.

I haven’t yet made good use of techniques such as this. The closest I’ve come is to imagine a short shopping list. I have had good success with the following technique:

• When I have to find something in another room in my house, I imagine myself in that room holding the thing. I hold that image in my mind, as I walk to that room. Then, I don’t forget what I’m looking for. (Like many people have experienced, I usually used to arrive in the other room and forgot why I was there and what I was looking for. Then I came up with my method of remembering.)
2 Likes

I think I’ve been pick-pocketed . . . :joy:

3 Likes

lol!!!

2 Likes

the brain pockets idea is interesting. i’ve tried the mind palace thing but i can’t quickly envision different rooms. it ends up taking too long. pockets might be faster/more efficient since they’re not as complicated.

2 Likes

give it a try it works for me and my son who also has adhd, be interesting if it works for others too.

if i remember this correctly its not that people with adhd have a bad memory as such, it is that we don’t subcontiously store the information in the correct part of the brain like most people, i think for NT’s when they get a new oiece of information it just automaticlly gets stored away to be recalled when needed.

2 Likes