bullying and ADHD , lack of assertiveness, empathy, isolated, rejection, no one to communicate with

I did not know how to be assertive, show empathy, possibly due to ADHD, could bullying in school cause problems.

I have dyspraxia and aspergers traits.

2 Likes

There can be a lot of impacts from bullying. Everything from depression to low self-esteem, interpersonal challenges, and even impairment in life or academics. Bullying is a psychological trauma in a lot of ways.

I think it’s important to tell yourself that you’re not responsible for not being assertive at the time or not making it stop. A lot of people who are bullied do try to fight back or push back verbally but get bullied more. In a lot of cases it’s the failure of adults in our lives to act that leads to more suffering. The adults and the bully hold the responsibility for what happened, not you.

I’d say that if you’re still having memories or feeling the after effects of bullying it’s worth talking to someone about it. Bullies affect us long after we are out of school and they have left our lives. It can take time to heal from the pain that they caused.

I don’t think it can easily be tied to ADHD or Asperger’s in general, though those things may make someone more socially vulnerable to being picked on.

I’m sorry that it happened to you. You are not alone. And you are brave and strong for surviving and getting through those terrible times.

3 Likes