Caffeine and ADHD

It for me does very little physically. (Possibly because I am just massive, 370 pounds.) For me what is does is just… calm my mind. Alertness… eh. Not really. But now I am not spinning 20 different places mentally. It also does, while I am not really awake, help me wake up because in the morning I think I am way UNDER stimulated and thus not awake. So it perks me up then. But at night, my mind is always spinning around even when physically exhausted. Coffee calms my mind and I can finally sleeeeeeeeep…

2 Likes

Yeah, it does do something to my mind as well as the circulation effects that kick in after too much (and in my case too much happens pretty quick! Like anything more than one cup, or much less if were to drink it at the same time as taking my meds).

I’m just not sure what, exactly.

And the weight thing may not be as simple an answer as you might think. My over sensitivity to caffeine started when I weighed 160 pounds. It didn’t used to happen when I was 30 pounds lighter. Though to be fair I am pretty sure I know what started it (too many cans of red bull following all night study, too often). But since gaining another 30 or 100 just to see if it goes away would be a very odd thing to do (and would introduce too many other variables anyway), that still doesn’t mean your theory doesn’t fit as well. Who knows. I think there is a massive amount of variation in how our bodies respond to the same thing. I reckon it’s the biome as well as the genes.

2 Likes

That is very interesting…very interesting indeed…(writes notes on ten different sticky notes). I’m going to try this tomorrow, as long as I can remember!

1 Like

I used to drink at least three cups of coffee a day, sometimes up to five, and in Australia that means espresso-based coffees - serious stuff.

But since getting on Vyvanse, I’ve found that I don’t need it nearly as much. I still like it, and I still need at least one at the start of the day, but I don’t need it like I used to. Part of that was a conscious decision though, as I figured a dose of lisdexamphetamine in my system would probably substitute for a fair bit of caffeine.

2 Likes

I have a coffee in the morning I get a mocha but with a single shot of espresso. Before meds I consumed soooo much caffeine and sugar (6-8 espresso coffees with 3 sugars plus a couple of red bulls a day. I am pretty sure that was a self medication thing. When I started meds and was taking Concerta I was super sensitive to caffeine. With Vyvanse not so much I could drink much more but just don’t desperately crave it like before I just like it. Now if I am feeling a little flat during the day I might have a little bit of coke or some other cold caffeinated sugary drink maybe 200-300 ml and that picks me up. It’s probably more the sugar than the small amount of caffeine that helps any more than that and I will get sleepy about an hour later.

Something interesting that my Dr and I worked out was if I just had the vyvance in the morning I would have problems getting to sleep at night but when I started taking a booster of Dex in the afternoon at about 3 pm when bed time came around I had no problems getting to sleep. He put it down to my brain just needing a longer period of stimulation during the day or that by the time bedtime came around and I had little medication left in my body my brain was all over the place again. I can nap when taking my meds and wake up feeling refreshed. before meds if I could nap I would feel like I had been dragged feet first through a swamp and was very irritable and cranky.

M

3 Likes

Oooh, interesting what you say about napping! I hadn’t really thought about it but I wake up less groggy now too! I had noticed it more in the mornings, but it’s true of a nap as well! I don’t nap very often so hadn’t noticed.

1 Like

Generaly i am finding any sort of transition better now . Waking up , being forced to change task, moving into busy or chaotic environments but i can still get frustrated after long periods of exposure maybe more so with meds i think its because unbridled ADHD let my brain jump around to process multiple things around me. Before meds i could track 5 or 6 conversations going on around me at once now i almost “have” to focus on the task / conversation i am part of. I really miss that little benefit. But it did have a big cost on me and would run me down.

Get on board with napping when you can a good 15 mins of shut eye every now and then is such a treat. Not to mention its good for you.

M

3 Likes

Hmmmm, more food for thought here! Although, looking back, the evidence of my adhd is there from early childhood on, I was kind of coping, more or less, for a very long time. I could follow several conversations at once, had the aural equivalent of a photographic memory (I’ve always been rubbish at recognising faces bit could remember huge chunks of conversations and lessons from school word for word).

But in the last 10 years or so that’s been wearing away. I think it’s partly a menopause thing (apparently it’s really quite common for female adults to seek a diagnosis because the hormones we lose are the ones that did something to help with the adhd symptoms at least during some weeks each month!).

But the other big thing that changed was emigrating and learning a new language. I was always really good at learning (European) languages, and I get complimented on my Dutch all the time, but there’s a big downside: I can’t follow more than one conversation at a time any more. I can sometimes still manage it in English, which is my native language, but I don’t get very many opportunities to do that. As soon as there’s just some Dutch going on at the same time, that skill has gone/doesn’t work.

I suppose with time it might come back. During the first few years here I was effectively deaf if I was reading, now I can at least notice that I should be listening and stop reading. Whereas I used to be able to read a magazine or newspaper and follow two or three conversations at the same time.

I shall try to notice in the coming days or weeks how this relates to being medicated… Interesting!

3 Likes

i still drink coffee just much less than how i used to, i think for me it’s a bit of an addiction, i started having headache when i tried to stop, although i would prefer not to drink, coffee with my medication makes me feel like i am dying inside.

2 Likes

That had been me for my entire coffee chugging career! I only realized it a few months ago when I was drinking 70+ ounces per day and still falling asleep easily.

1 Like