Can't remember names and faces. (Just me?)

So when I worked in retail, I would often help a customer take a quick walk around the store and come back looking at the customer and wonder if I had already spoken to them.

In my current role I have to go to conferences and people will come up to say hi to me. They remember me from before and I may as well be meeting a stranger. That said if I can be triggered on an event I can remember. “We spoke about X”, or “You helped me with Y”.

I’ve learned many ways to ‘fake’ it and go along until I get something that triggers me on who this person is; or sometimes just avoid using their name because I can’t remember it. Other times I go through entire conversations with the person thinking I remember who they are when I don’t. It’s a reactive coping mechanism.

I just wonder… am I alone in this? Can anybody relate?

4 Likes

Nope! Definitely not alone :yum: I once spent a day and a half wondering why a person from camp looked familiar, only to realize I knew them…from camp :sweat_smile:
I try to pinpoint something about that to a specific situation. For example, this person stands a certain way, and we are talking about dinosaurs. Next time I see them, I know strange posture=dinosaurs=person. Idk if that makes sense but yah!

1 Like

Yep I’m so bad with that too. One time I saw a lady I knew from work out in a store and she was like hi how are you and I completely didn’t know who she was without her safety glasses or lab coat on.

1 Like

Yup, me too! Very embarrassing as I don’t even recognise my next door neighbours in the ‘wrong’ place.

2 Likes

Yeap happens to me to

Yes, context is everything, if they aren’t where they usually are highly increased odds of an awkward situation.

2 Likes

I remember people by their postures, the way they move, the way they talk, dress, their hairdo, their smiles, the context.

Faces come last. If at all.

Also, I can totally forget names even of people I’m in touch with regularly.

I do remember the birthday of a grade school buddy, though, by which he was really impressed when we met 18 years after graduation (and probably about 25 years after I’d last been to his birthday party).

3 Likes