'Captioneers' and translators hub

Hai there fellow (new) caption creators and bilingual brains!

Since I’ve stumbled upon the brain tribe, I been under the impression that Jessica’s work can really change people’s life for the better! But…

Not everyone is as proficient in the English language as most of us here might be. I think this is especially true for the younger audience from nonnative English speaking places on the globe, which just so happens to be a big part of the YouTube demographic.

Let's make the tribe accessible to even more people!

Luckily the folks at Google had decided that we, as a community, may submit captions to a video! Now transcribing a video and translating that might sound easy enough, which it is, but it does take a lot of time! So, why not gather our collective minds and share useful tips and tricks we’ve learned along the way to make transcribing and translating those video a breeze!

I will collect all the best tips here in this doodlydoo, so it’s right at the top of this thread!

Google’s guidelines on how to add translations to a YouTube video (thanks @Jessica)
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6054623?hl=en

I’ve compiled a priority list (based on views, my humble opinion and on the type of video) which videos would benefit most from having translations added. The list should be up to date as of dec 7 2018. Feel free to let me know if I missed important videos! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19ldPD5jvgX50nGpFCrjOvD39W29uqj2RlXgf96EpNPw

4 Likes

I’m gonna do an oldskool ‘res’ in case these tips and tricks get out of control!

2 Likes

I would love to try and make subtitles in Brazilian Portuguese for the videos! I really think they can help so many people! But I have no idea on how to make captions. :eyes: With help, I think I can do it.

4 Likes

Here’s a link to how to do it! https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6054623?hl=en

5 Likes

Thank you!! I’ll have a look!

3 Likes

I don’t understand the format of this forum. I am not sure I am writing on the right section. But, I agree totally! There are so many information in English because it’s a super major language and I wish people who don’t feel comfortable listening/reading it could have more access to that information.

I did translate a handful of videos into my language(Korean) and want to do more but you know, there are a lot of good videos and can’t choose the next one. Maybe if the team or the community can tell us which videos have higher priority to them, I can work on the next one more quickly. My goal is to block just 3 hours every week to translate as a volunteer.

Anyways, thanks for letting everyone know how to. Have a great day.

4 Likes

I usually just translate the videos with the most views, that’s what makes the most sense to me.

2 Likes

that’s a good idea! thanks!

1 Like

Not sure how to find this again if I don’t reply to it. Sorry for a rather boring reply!

1 Like

At the bottom there should be an option to bookmark! From there, if you click your little picture icon in the top right corner it comes with a drop down.

At the top of that drop down, to the right, you’ll see a matching bookmark symbol and that will take you to your bookmarks :smiley: so you can find things again that you’ve bookmarked ^^

2 Likes

Thanks. In the telephone app I can’t find the bookmark-this-post symbol. I found a flag, but that’s something else. I do see the list of bookmarks symbol though. Is the symbol I’m looking forbalmostbthe same as that one?

1 Like

There should be a drop down that says topic controls. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Wehey! Thanks, found it😅

2 Likes

I’ve compiled a priority list (for now) (based on views, my humble opinion and on the type of video) which videos would benefit most from having translations added.

The list should be up to date as of today. Feel free to let me know if I missed important videos! I am looking into using the youtube data api to automate this list and keep track of which languages have been done.

2 Likes

Thanks for this! I am studying at the moment but maybe next summer I could do one.

It’s also a cool list of the videos. I finally got to hear the fish song :smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I’m looking into automating the list, so that it will display all videos and available caption languages without me having to update it!

3 Likes

Is it possible for others to change the document? Because maybe when somebody adds an available caption language, they could change that in the document.
I think it will be difficult to automate it, as probably only Jessica (and (maybe) anybody moderating the HowToADHD channel) would (/could) get an message that a caption was added. (And I couldn’t find a nice list like you made on YouTube itself. Also not for just a single video). But maybe you will find an ingenious solution.

1 Like

Hello,
I would like to volunteer for translation (English -> French). Is it still possible to register?

2 Likes

Hey Jiwi,

You are more than welcome to caption the videos! There is no registration, all you need to do is login to YouTube and follow the instructions in the first post!

Let me know if you have any questions :blush:

2 Likes

It is possible through the YouTube data API, alas I am no programmer… The document is very outdated now, and I don’t really have the time to keep it updated nowadays.

Anyone who has the time to update it, feel free to make a copy of the document and share it here! I’ll update the link in the OP to the most up to date document if someone updates it.

1 Like