Cognitive Distortion / CBT

Dear Brains,

Hola. I hope y’all are well.

I am going to begin working on using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) methods as one of the tools to help me live in a healthier way. I will be working with my therapist, this week, and will keep myself open to the use of other tools, too, though I have already had positive outcomes with CBT in the past.

I have come across a handy tool which lists 15 Cognitive Distortions, which I am beginning to work through and will bring to my therapy session this week. I found the list here.

I hope this can be of help to anyone out there. If anyone wants to share about their experiences with CBT, or other methods which have helped for them, please do.

Thank you. Take care.
-trav

3 Likes

Thanks for posting up the info and starting the thread!

Just briefly looked into the distortions link and it is an interesting collection, one definitely worth looking further into.

At a glance though and in same cases personally related and other cases, people I’m very close to, I’ve noticed the following:

Distortion~

#1 Seems quite common among relationships and very easy thought pattern to fall into. :sweat_smile:

#2 Easy for my ADHD to use this as an excuse to over complicate a task to perfection in their head and use it as an excuse to become overwhelmed and procrastinate. :see_no_evil: #guilty

Most of #3-10 Seems like a lot of thought patterns that would emerge through one with traumatic and abusive experiences. :sleepy: yet very important to recognise and work though.

Have forgot the last few, but didn’t seem to strongly recognise the patterns as much. :sweat_smile:

Curious as to further responses and information on this topic though. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you . . . Thank you . . .

Wow! So many of these are “me”!

For a short while I was in CBT. Though the therapist was recommended to me by my prescribing psychiatrist . . . I was surprised by her perceptions of me, observations about me, and the diagnosis that she put on my insurance form. And when I had the audacity of disagreeing with her she terminated my therapy (citing terms of her written contract that she insisted I sign before we began). To be fair, I have to assume that there are other CBT professionals who might be helpful to me. Perhaps I’ll give it another shot . . . And that thought is a result of your post and the list of 15 Cognitive Distortions.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I have an appointment in a few weeks to hopefully start working on some CBT. It’s actually with the therapist who sent me to be tested for my diagnosis, but I haven’t seen her in years. One of the few I found listing both CBT and ADHD in her specialty list, so hopefully she can help!

2 Likes

:+1:

That is encouraging. Based on some personal experience, it would not surprise me if your therapist herself is ADHD.

3 Likes

Yikes! That’s a bad experience; I’m sorry to hear that happened.

Cool and you’re welcome! Something really great for me is to know that there are gobs of tools/methods out there and they can be used by us, or not, because we decide which ones work best for us.

I studied to become a therapist in 2009 (believe it or not: I didn’t complete the degree!), and CBT was one of the methods (along with narrative therapy) which felt more comfortable to me.

Good luck with whatever methods work best!

3 Likes