Coping with stress

Hi guys,

My name is Kelly and I’m 20 years old. I received my diagnosis about two years ago, and since then I’ve gotten a bit better at managing my life.

However, ever since the start of the pandemic I feel like I’m at same level as two years ago. At that time I also dealt with depression, which can be traced back to ADHD and past events. A major trigger for my ADHD is stress and that’s becoming a constant in my life. Aside from stress due to ill loved ones (not corona), my school isn’t very keen on reducing stress either. I can feel the stress has not only an effect on my ADHD (motivation, focus, hyped up one moment and completely no energy the next), but my mood as well.

Does anyone have tips for managing stress? I’d love to hear from you!

4 Likes

Aerobic exercise and meditation are both helpul! :mountain_biking_woman:t2::person_in_lotus_position:t2:‍♂

3 Likes

As Brooklyn said, exercise is very good to re-balance yourself and vent some mental energy. You can try HIIT exercise if you want 12 minutes of very fast paced exercises.

I like this guy:

I can’t meditate myself but a good option, maybe yoga is more your style and combine exercise and meditation together.

Good sleep is very important and a decent and regular diet too. It can be hard to manage these with ADHD anyway, add in a load of stress too, and it all tends to fall apart. Poor sleep and poor diet makes it harder to cope with stress and the cycles repeats…and repeats…

3 Likes

@Brooklyn - Slight thread hijack, sorry kcae.

Hello Barry, how are you, hope you are doing OK. I hope you have not been physically affected by the problems going on over there.

Tried to find the private message function but failed! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Personally, i’ve found that talking to friends and taking some time off each week to listen to music or do something I enjoy, or even just sit with my thoughts helps with stress a lot.
Something I’ve been trying recently is kind of forcefully telling myself that stress is a normal part of school life and it’s absolutely not my fault for feeling this way.
I’ve been recommended meditation by many people and it hasn’t worked for me yet, but everyone’s different so it might be a good idea.
And if you don’t have the focus for meditation like me, you can try breathing excercises instead, which are short and get you to focus on your breathing instead of focusing on nothing.
Hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for asking Neil, my wife and I are fine. Very much staying at home not seeing anybody except virtually. Yes, things are nuts here.

PS: “kcae”:question:

1 Like

@Brooklyn - That’s good to know. kcae = Kelly thread starter.

1 Like