Does anyone know an expert in ADHD and martial arts?

Hello! I help out with a popular martial arts podcast and teach martial arts to kids, I also have an ADHD brain.
I have found that training in martial arts has really helped me to wrangle my tricky brain in many ways and I have watched it help students at my school as well, but I am by no means an expert in how it works.
We were hoping to do an episode about ADHD and martial arts and are hoping to find an expert who has experience in both areas, if you know of anyone that fits the bill let me know! Ideally it should be someone who has relevant medical experience or is otherwise well qualified to speak professionally about the subject.
Thank you!

1 Like

Hey @Lessy_Trail welcome to the forum! I did martial arts for a couple years and while I’m probably not qualified to help you, I wanted to say I remember how awesome it was and I think it’s great you’re teaching kids!! I hope you find what you’re looking for :grin:

1 Like

Hi and thank you. I’ve been lurking for a while just reading posts, I thought this might be a helpful place to look for someone. I feel martial arts can be a helpful tool in wrangling brains like ours and have certainly benefited from it so that’s why I thought it would make a good topic for discussion.

2 Likes

Hi Lessy! Welcome to the forum!:grin:

Sounds awesome! I did kendo for a while, also did some taichi, but sadly am no expert or doctor, so can’t really help. But this is a good place to look, though none of us are doctors (at least as far as we know😜), so don’t know how easy it will be to find that specific qualification…

But when you finish your project, I’d love to see it, will you post a link here on the forum?:blush:

1 Like

I know I’m late to the party on this one, but I am a 5th degree black belt in Karate and have ADD. Certified Instructor, with over 25 years of experience in the martial arts, including some that aren’t karate. Even did it professionally for a short time. Adhd or Add, like so many other things, can be both a gift and a curse for doing or teaching Karate. Would love to talk about it if you’re interested.

Hi! We may have already found someone but if that guest doesn’t work out I will let you know. Thanks for your interest! Please stay in touch though, it’s great to hear of other martial artists that have found ways to make their wild brains do what they want them to do and channel their energy for a good cause.
I won’t link to the show here since I don’t want to get in trouble with the forum for promoting stuff, but anyone that is interested in can message me for a link and I’ll let you know when the ADHD episode is posted (I hope that’s okay, don’t want to break any rules!)