Drowning in an emotional swamp - ADHD? Something else?

Anyone else feel this?? Or maybe this is related to something else…
Do you ever just feel like you’re drowning in an emotional swamp? Like, get up in the morning, day off - YAY! Have coffee, breakfast… start planning what you want to do today… And then start crying for no reason. “Why do I feel this way?” No clue. I’m drowning ALL the emotions. They’re just swirling around me. I can’t even identify them (not really a typical problem for me) - they’re just these swirls of stuff I can’t describe. (Except I don’t typically experience rage - for some reason that one doesn’t hit me much. I’m more of a sobby person.)
My poor ASD husband… Today was the first time I was able to recognize I’m in the swamp and warn him. (Not that it helps a lot, but it’s something.) Other days, I freak on him for some unknown or ridiculously stupid reason. Or start bawling. He has no idea what to do. I have no idea what to do!
It has destroyed entire days. One of my pet peeves is feeling like I’ve wasted a day off; done nothing productive or fun. Which just keeps the cycle going. Emotions everywhere, flying around me and in me… laying in bed, feeling all the emotions and feeling worse every minute until suddenly, I can get up, do SOMETHING (usually go out, shop, whatever) and as long as nothing bad happens, I can be fine the rest of the evening.
It is SOO incredibly frustrating and infuriating! And not helpful in my marriage.
Anyone else feel this? Any tips you have found that help?

3 Likes

Sounds really tiring! How are you doing? How long have you been feeling like this? I would say have a chat with your doctor if that’s possible? It could be related to your ADHD but it sounds like something else might be going on as well :heart: sending hugs!

2 Likes

No clue if it’s ADHD related, but you’re definitely not alone in this. I felt like that yesterday, and many days before that. I usually just try to distract myself (doesn’t always work though) with cute animals or interesting youtube videos.

2 Likes

Yes, I feel this. It’s really difficult for me to put it into words but you did a really good job. Sometimes I feel emotions just bubbling up inside of me and I don’t know when or where it’s all going to overflow but I feel sure that it is. I honestly don’t know if it’s ADHD related but I think that ADHD at least contributes to it.

I’m usually quite good at knowing what I’m feeling even if I cant control it but some days I haven’t got a clue. One day I cried on my walk home from work (about 45 mins) and I didn’t know why. When I got home I wrote a list of all the possible reasons I why I was crying and was really surprised how long it was. I didn’t register that I had so many little things going on that could make me sad. When I was reading them it was obvious that I was dealing with a lot and that all the little things add up. So maybe you could try that if you think it would help. It made me feel less out of control and scared because I knew that there were reasons I was feeling so emotional. Honesty I’m still working on this but talking to the right people helps. For me that was professionals because that’s who I felt comfortable with and they don’t judge me, brush me off or tell me what to do. My biggest fear is people not taking me seriously.

It can be scary and distressing to be so full of emotions and not know why or what to do. Your not alone in this and if seeking help is something that you feel comfortable with I highly encourage you to do that.

3 Likes