Enneagram and ADHD

Ok, so if you don’t know the Enneagram test is sort of like a personality test. Many of my friends and I have taken the test and I find it to be pretty accurate.

Here’s my question. I want to know if there is a correlation between what is the most presentable aspect of your ADHD and what Enneagram number you have.

Me personally; I feel like I am much closer to the inattentive side of ADHD. My enneagram number is a 9 with a wing 6.

here is a link to a free test. https://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/type6
They don’t need an email or anything. (if I remember correctly)

and here is a link to some highly accurate descriptions of the types. https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/type-descriptions/

For any who answer I’ll try to do my best to organize the data (im also open to suggestions). This is something I’ve just become recently fixated on. Thanks guys!

4 wing 5,and although my official diagnosis is PI, I think it was a slight mistake and that I have combined type. (a difference of one point on the impulsive scale, and some sources say that for an adult diagnosis, one point less than for a child is enough).

1 Like

I’m a 6 and am PI, both I believe to be found very accurate of me and my traits. I have wondered the same thing as you… am I really a 6 who happens to have ADHD, or do my ADHD traits make me look like I’m a 6? Either way, still accurate on both sides.

1 Like

:grin: Hahaha, this can’t tell me anything new. I did the Enneagram just for fun. Personality is much more complex than all those kinds of tests are actually able to measure and conclude. They never can get the whole picture, just a pinch of tendency. The 4 had just a tiny bit more percentages than another drawer.

Yeah, I am to one part a knowledge seeker and riddles are my thing. So what. It made me laugh, reading my gained profiles. I can’t be divided in black and white thinking, I am colorful. No skill or trait is good or bad by any definition. The context reviles, which times they have a beneficial effect and at which they become more likely an obstacle.

So don’t get too absorb in it, thought.

1 Like

I’m a type 7, and according to my sister it describes me completely (I’ve never been too good at self evaluation :wink:
I’m combined type.

1 Like

Hey @usernamekls!
I know this is years late, but I have also been intrigued by the similarities between Enneagram 9s and inattentive ADHD, as well as Enneagram 7s and hyperactive ADHD. I have inattentive ADHD, and I identify with the Enneagram so much, it’s scary. None of the other personality typing systems (zodiac, myers brigg) have even come close to the Enneagram for me. When I read the 9 description years ago, I knew instantly that was my type. Since then, I’ve read books, listened to podcasts, and attended courses to learn more - it gets pretty complex the deeper you go. What I like about the Enneagram is that it “Doesn’t put you in a box - it shows you the box you’re in, so you can get out.”
Here are a few of the observations I’ve made. Unfortunately they are all negative. Gotta look harder for the positive ones lol. What do you think?

9’s and inattentives:

• Tend to be introverted

• Inattentive/Distractible/unorganized: “Nines have a problem finding and staying with their own priorities. It’s hard to change directions or shift attention to what is most important.”

• Spacey/Day dreamers: “Nines retreat into their minds and their emotional fantasies.”

• Numb or buffer feelings with things that give us an instant dopamine hit

• Sloth/laziness/falling asleep to yourself

• Low self-esteem

7’s and hyperactives:

• Tend to be extraverts

• Excitable, talkative, high-energy

• Spontaneous/impulsive

• Scattered/undisciplined

• Starts projects but does’t finish them (especially when it gets boring)

• Seek new and exciting experiences/novelty

PS - @anotherBrain - Fours have the motivational need to express their uniqueness and value individualism, therefore they don’t usually think the enneagram can ever describe them accurately because they’re so special :wink:

Welcome to the HowToADHD forums @Inattentive9 !

I’ve never looked much info enneagram much. (Myers-Briggs makes more sense to me. The “Big Five”/OCEAN/CANOE model is regarded as having the most scientific basis, as does the newer HEXACO model expanding on it.)

Your perspective correlating enneagram type to ADHD presentation is thought-provoking. The MBTI seems to me to be very independent of ADHD presentation…meaning that my general point of view is that “any ADHD presentation type can have any MBTI personality type, and vice-versa”.

1 Like

I was looking for something new to read and found this thread. What is a brain to do at 5:00 am. I am a 9 wing 1. I have inattentive ADHD. I have never heard of the test before but it was interesting. Now I have to find out more about it. I will be back.

1 Like