Feeling Frustrated. Father with ADHD parenting kiddo with ADHD

Feeling frustrated, I’m an ADHD father with a very ADHD son. We are very much alike. Trying to help him with his ADHD (he’s 6yo) is hard because I’m still dealing with mine. I’m medicated and can do pretty good with life until things break down with my kiddo. He’s got a 6yo personality with the brilliance of a 9 year old with the maturity of a 2 year old

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @phillycodehound!
There’s actually a whole category on this topic ( https://forums.howtoadhd.com/c/support/parenting ) so hopefully that will help :slightly_smiling_face: my advice is this: disclaimer, I’m not a parent try to be patient and work on different strategies. If something works for you then try it out with him?

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

Being an ADHD parent with an ADHD kiddo can be the pits. My almost 5 yo son is the same way. I won’t go into a huge exposition here, but the parenting topic is a great place to get some supportive words and ask questions.

Welcome to the tribe!

1 Like

Thanks

Hi Seth! Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, I can imagine (my wife and I are trying for kids now), and I watched a presentation with a psychologist who actually said that when it comes to mental maturity, subtract about 1/3 of the chronological age for ADHD Brains, both kids and adults.:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Raising kids with ADHD when you have it is no easy task! It does give you understanding of their trials that non-ADHDers do not have.

1 Like

New here. This sounds like my family. My husband has ADHD and our 6 year old son. He was recently diagnosed with outside school service pushed by me as I’m a special education teacher. Our son can’t keep it together in the afternoons and looking to medicate. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like