fidgeting

Is fidgeting , a sign of inattentiveness ?

What do other believe think ?

I can fidget !

1 Like

While fidgeting likely is an indication that one is struggling to pay attention, channeling the fidgeting using a fidgeting device actually helps to improve attention. I think you will find the information at this link both interesting and helpful!

ADHD Fidgeting Strategies That Promote Focus

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

I think it is a sign of inattentiveness and / or hyperactivity ?

1 Like

I think it can be a sign of both inattentiveness and hyperactivity. I would associate fidgeting with ADHD, though it’s not exclusive to it. I get very fidgety at times.

2 Likes

I agree . . .

1 Like

I was a youth leader several years ago, and a couple of the youths that I knew were neuro-divergent. One definitely has ADHD, and I know the other is on the autistic spectrum (and maybe a mild form of ADHD).

These two kids both used “doodling” as a tool to learn. They could both easily absorb new information while doodling, fidgeting, and sometimes squirming, but if you tried to make them stop they would be disengaged from the learning activities. They would not benefit, and they might become a distraction to others.

I think that fidgeting is part of how people with ADHD “process” their attention.

2 Likes

Sometimes i fidget because I just feel like I have to it’s like a steam engine sitting idle ai have to release the pressure or it explodes lol and I think thats the hyperactive side, and sometimes I fidget because I am under stimulated and it relieves the boredom and ai think that is the inattentive side.

3 Likes

Turns out I stim far more than I realised and I think that’s because I used to get roused on so much for my constant fidgeting by parents, siblings, teachers etc.

2 Likes

My daughter’s teacher did say it best when involving fidget items. If you can use it without looking at it, it’s a fidget. If you look at it to use it, it’s a toy. And a fidget spinner is no help to anyone due to having to stay still while it spins.

3 Likes

Making up for time and opportunities previously lost no doubt! :joy:

1 Like

I do agree with the fidget spinner part but They do work for me when instead of like letting it spin I move it back and forth between like 3 fingers. (It took a while to get use to but now It gives enough stimulation for me to focus.)

1 Like