Finall diagnosed

Hello, fellow brains.
Not sure if you remember me, I’ve been absent for quite a while.

About two years ago I learned about ADHD in a class of my masters in education. And we watched two of Jessica’s videos in that class. And I was like “oh my god, that’s like a checklist of being me”. Since then I knew I had ADHD, I was pretty certain, and I registered here in this forum, and several of you told me to get diagnosed.

Well, I took advantage of the whole home-office confinement situation and started a therapy and asked to get diagnosed. And this Saturday I finally received it. I was right all along. I have very strong signs of ADHD, and anxiety that goes along with it.

I am so glad that I did this, should have done this years earlier. And it explains so many things from my childhood. Now I am just excited to work on coping strategies and tools with my psychologist. Wondering if medication would be part of it.

I am taking this diagnose as something extremely positive. I finally know for sure where I stand. It’s never too late. I am 40 now and it’s still a good time to work on it. I am looking forward to the journey.

3 Likes

Welcome to the tribe!

I’m so glad that you have found the diagnosis to be helpful and that you’ve got a plan going forward. It can definitely be sad in some ways too as you look back and see all the things that were affected by untreated ADHD and how a diagnosis and care might have changed how things unfolded. Bottom line is that you have the information now and you can move forward learning the skills, tips, and tricks that you need while getting support from a great community.

Good luck on your journey!

2 Likes

Thank you!

Yeah, it can be frustrating looking back. Especially when your teachers and parents just think that “he needs to focus more in class” as a comment does it. Like it’s on purpose.

Anyway, I am a teacher, and although I have the symptoms myself, I still constantly need to remind myself that the kids don’t do it on purpose. That they actually want to succeed, but they need personalized strategies.

1 Like
   I’m so happy for you and also welcome back!! I think you did the right thing because it’s always better to understand yourself. And you must’ve had a big struggle considering you were undiagnosed for so long. All I can say is that you’re here now and will support you!

Stay safe!!:heart::heart:

2 Likes

Just realized that I did that to my comment but ima not change it…cuz it’s funny in stuff… so ye

3 Likes

Thank you. I will discuss more actively again. Promise!
By the way what about this note from February that the forum could go away and be replaced by something else?

1 Like

Yeah that was kinda of confusing But I think it may have been canceled due to Covid. but I’m not sure I know that we will be informed and everyone will be transferred before they lock down the site though.

1 Like

I don’t even understand how you did that. Does stand out though.

1 Like

@MasterFrame Good for you. Just recently diagnosed myself, and I have a couple of decades of experience on you. Feels good to have a starting point, doesn’t it.

2 Likes

Absolutely feels good to have a starting point. That’s why I am saying it’s something very positive for me. I also went through the whole process of acceptance when I first learned about it all two years ago. Since then I just knew, just had to get it official.

2 Likes

Aaaaand just the following week my psychologist kind of took it back. Just because I have kept a job over years, I am suddenly too functional for her to conclude that it’s ADHD, although she said that I have all the signs.
I just know what it is… And just because I kept my job does not mean that it has been easy for me. It’s a constant struggle.

1 Like

That’s so frustrating. People with ADHD have jobs and can keep jobs. It doesn’t mean the disorder isn’t there and that we don’t struggle day to day. It sounds like the provider may be under-informed on the issue. Hopefully working with the provider more will give you a chance to help challenge that and talk more about the daily challenges you face. If the provider is open to reading more about the topic, there are lots of good resources out there, but it’s often the case that providers feel they are the experts and are reluctant to learn more.

2 Likes