First time vyvanse.

I’m due my first dose of vyvanse in 5 hours and pretty nervous, have been super unfocused this week and almost got completely overwhelmed a few times today. Really hoping it’s going to work and not be too trippy.

2 Likes

Well i got 1+2.5 hours sleep, took 30mg elvanse 1 hour ago. Can’t tell if im feeling anxiety +sleep deprevation or the meds.

1 Like

Excited i got a reply :slight_smile: disappointed it was my own :frowning: Definitely not feeling tired anymore like I’ve had a strong yet mellow coffee?! No jitters, mind is active but not racing. Trying not to get too excited that this might be working for me.

2 Likes

Let me put you out of your missery. :laughing: reply… Hmm, I never ever have celebrated any medication. I think it is something, I don’t get excited about. Thihihi. As far as I can remember.

1 Like

I had a bit of time with Vyvanse (no generic available! wait until 2023) and liked it. I was getting more than I needed, at the time, and I did have a little bit of sleep problems and some mild headaches. But it faded soon enough. I quit taking Vyvanse because of the cost, and went back to Adderall (generic equivalent), but I really want to get back on Vyvanse, it really seemed much more helpful than Adderall to me.

2 Likes

Well i only got a couple of hours sleep, woke up feeling terrible. The vyvanse is kicking in now though, I’m a bit worried how the first day at work will go, keeping my fingers crossed I’ll be able to get something done.

1 Like

Also could anyone clear up the vitamin c/magnesium thing. I can’t find any detailed info on how urine pH affects the effects of Vyvanse.

1 Like

I had no idea there were urine pH issues or magnesium concerns … etc … looking forward to learning more …

1 Like

With the standard I’m not a doctor disclaimer I will share my understanding.
Vyvanse is less affected by PH issues. That’s because it doesn’t actually become Dex until it is in you blood stream and available dex in you body is made available over a longer period The studies I had a quick read of basically said that Dex will be metabolised faster with acidic urine and slower with alkaline urine. So sticking the 2 pieces together yes taking acidifying substances will reduce the half life of Dex but the way it’s metabolised will mean Dex availability is longer.

I think the real answer is that in conjunction with your Dr you will probably just need to try it out if you want to keep taking your vitamins. ADHD medication is so highly specific person to person that only time will tell if it will work out for you.

Ps we all want an update on how you are going with it …

M

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve shifted to taking any supplements in the evening and avoiding orange juice at breakfast. My appetite has come back a little and I got 6.5 hours sleep, probably because the night before i only got 2. I bailed and tried to work from home yesterday, although I was pretty wide awake I had massive brain fog and couldn’t get much done. Going to the office today so a bit anxious about that. Also blood pressure has increased to mild hypertension, I’m not sure if this is something that I’ll adjust to.

It’s early days so the sleep and brain fog can be a little variable in my experience. Now I can lay down and have a 2 hour nap during peak effect of my meds. I would probably let you Doc know about your BP. Particularly if it’s shifted more than a few points. It could just be from the excitement of it all but better safe than sorry.

M

1 Like

Apart from a bit of anxiety I was a bit excited to try the working on meds thing, but I’ve just realised I’ve forgotten my pass! Perhaps they hadn’t quite kicked in when I left the house. Oh well, i best join the adhd queue for a temporary pass lol.

Forgetting your pass is an amateur move. One day I went to the whole wrong place and then called the contractor asking why they where an hour late. Turns out I was on the wrong side of the city and they had been waiting for me.

1 Like

Im also wondering about finding an appropriate dose, is it a case of benefits and side effects increasing together with increasing dose or do people tend to have a dose where more or less results in less benefit and more side effects.
I’m a bit wary of the higher doses to come.

My experience was that the dose I had ended up not being sufficient after the initial period, and we upped it a bit. No real side affects for me after the first month.
Give it some time to work out and your body to adjust. then you can tweak as needed.
If you can, make a solid routine for your morning that includes when you take your meds. I take mine around 7 am. When I get into work at 8 I am still pretty tired and sleepy (TBF, I just got diagnosed with sleep apnea), but I can think clearly when called on. By 8:15 I’m at my desk and I am alert. by 5:30 pm I am ready to go veg in front of a TV. But if I take my meds past 9:30 am or so, I’m gonna be awake past midnight.
Find the rhythm that works for you.

1 Like

Thank, its reassuring to know that things might settle down. I’ve definitely been fidgeting less and think I’m more focused, although movement still distracts me. Its hard to describe but something feels odd inside, maybe it’s just blood pressure anxiety or lack of sleep. A bit like I’ve had a bit too much coffee but without the jitters

Heh. Yeah. That is probably the meds. The question is… is the oddness a bad thing, a good thing, or just… a thing?
I did have some “side affects”, but not medical. I don’t get as punny when on my meds. I fact, one sign the meds are wearing out is that I start cracking off some bad jokes or puns. So… yeah, I get the “something is off”, the question is, how ok is it to live with?

Work closely with your provider on this. They’ll titrate to a level that you can tolerate, but there’s probably a limit that they can prescribe for or are willing to. Here the limit is 70 mg, which is what I’m taking now. If you do experience side effects, try to chart them and see if they are related to dose changes or other things such as stressors, sleep, diet, illness, etc. Being able to give your provider detailed feedback is always helpful to them when making the adjustments. You’re likely to feel if the dose gets too high; in that case they’ll probably lower it back to the dose that you had the least side effects on and still felt the benefit.

1 Like

meds crazy worked for me am i an addict when something works as well as these meds do yes totally how could i not be

1 Like

End of week 1 and I haven’t seen massive improvements on 30mg but work has also been pretty stressful so maybe increased anxiety is offsetting changes in my adhd symptoms. Have a Gp appointment next week to discuss my blood pressure though.

1 Like