From Promotion to Gross Misconduct - HELP!!!

I need help and I am unsure what to do at the minute with work. I work in a IT helpdesk where we take inbound calls, the last 8 months from Diagnosis and taking meds to now I have been absolutely flying in work, I took my manager to my Adult ADHD meeting to be transparent with work about what I am doing, taking, difficulties and coping techniques.

My manager during this time has been awesome, instead of looking at stats he developed me with ADHD in mind and I’ve gone from poor figures to having an Interview this Thursday for a job Promotion in our Technical Tier 2 team. Words cannot describe how excited I am about it.

4 weeks ago, my manager left the company and I have now gone under a new manager who is only interested in stats and has completely removed all my development opportunities and we now clash almost every day.

One thing I have always MASSIVELY struggled with is timesheets, leave, flexi records. They aren’t difficult to complete I just used to always forget to complete them, miss the deadlines. I can rebuild a network infrastructure but this is just something I have had a problem with. Anyways, I told my old manager I struggled with them and he used to just complete the timesheets and said not to worry about flexi times just work on workforce planning records and leave sheet we will just sort at the end of the year.

As my manager was just completing the timesheets on autopilot and me not even acknowledging it and focussing on my development, there are no records on my personnel file,the new manager has now said I have gone over my leave allowance, flexi times and not completed my timesheet and wants to put it down as a gross misconduct…which potentially could be a sackable offence. I am now at full panic stations and I don’t know what to do!?

Sorry your having issues with your new boss, I also struggle with, booking leave, and recording overtime etc I was pulled up at work about it, after I explained my difficulties, they were very good in helping me, it’s a shame that some bosses have no flexibility around this area, I know id also struggle if I had a boss like you do now.

Get some help on this, fast!

You were acting in good faith, and in cooperation with your previous line manager. Not in an attempt to defraud the company on worked hours etc.

Gross misconduct dismissal is designed to protect organisations from staff who are damaging their business or reputation. To use it against you in these circumstances would be an abuse of the system.

They may, however, be well within their rights to invoke a disciplinary procedure, giving you time to fix what needs fixing.

Is there a union rep? Or an experienced member of staff whom you trust, who will attend any disciplinary hearings with you as an extra pair of ears, and to help you to nit agree to any un reasonable targets?

And can you get in touch with your previous boss to a) confirm that you are not lying and b) help you to fill in this admin stuff retrospectively?

You’re in the UK right? If need be, remind them that ADHD is a protected characteristic, and BY LAW they have to make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to accommodate you, which is what your old boss was doing. Your old boss sounds very supportive, but they were also just following the law like they’re supposed to.

Regarding unions - unions won’t normally get involved with issues that started before you were a member of the union. So if you’re not in one already, then get in one before a disciplinary procedure is officially started, if you want a union to fight in your corner. Citizens Advice Bureau are definitely worth a call - I’ve rang them before for advice about ADHD in the workplace and they can be great to get advice about your rights.

Also consider that maybe this new boss is just flashing their power and trying to scare you into being more productive. If they know about your ADHD, they will likely know that gross misconduct for not filling out timesheets is totally inappropriate, so they’re probably just trying to show off.

You could also tell them that if they want, you are happy to explain ADHD symptoms to them and the rights that come with protected characteristics :slight_smile: They will likely refuse but might get the hint…