Getting frustrated at how slow people can be sometimes ? is it me or ADHD ?

Hello everyone, I got diagnosed 2 weeks ago and started my treatment immediately, but there are still some blurred lines for me as I’m trying to better understand myself and how my brain works.

for example, I always get frustrated because sometimes people can’t think or do things as fast as I can, I often try to be patient with people and not get frustrated and give them a hard time but for example when I reach a solution to a problem 10 times quicker than my colleagues try to explain it and getting ignored only for them to reach the same conclusion an hour later I find myself really infuriated and frustrated not because I was ignored but because of how slow the process was does that make sense? like I would like for things to happen faster and when this depends on other people and they slow things down I get really frustrated.

I think I really hurt my career when I get frustrated at the wrong people like my bosses or higher-ups, I think that they believe my frustration and impatience with them is me being condescending, impolite, or unrespectful. which is completely understandable from their point of view, but I really can’t help it.

Is that ADHD or just plain old me?

5 Likes

I can definitely relate to the frustration, but it’s a bit of a tricky one. What would definitely be ADHD would be you having difficulty keeping a lid on the emotions and reactions, but the from there we get further into speculative territory…

ADHD is associated with a greater level of intuitive leaps (i.e. skipping chunks of logical trudgework), which might get you places faster while making it harder to explain to someone with a more linear, concrete pattern of thinking. Additionally, the all-over-the-place nature of ADHD thinking may give you an edge with integrative complexity, which (if it is so) would mean you’re more likely to see the big picture and how everything fits together.

However, simply having high intelligence can also lead such problems – rather than there being a particular edge in cognitive pattern, your brain just runs faster (in computing terms, it’d be like a higher clockspeed rather than a different CPU architecture). A bit of both is certainly possible, and would compound the problems.

5 Likes

I know the feeling somehow. It depends on the topic and my daily form though. Sometimes I like to listen to my lectures in double speed because they are to slow for me. Sometimes I need more time. Especially with mathematical thinking, because I need to focus more to follow I guess.

2 Likes

why not both?

3 Likes

Allow me to give you my “quick” reply . . . :laughing:

Seriously though I get easily frustrated, especially when I’m not doing anything but just waiting for someone to do whatever needs to be done before we move on. e.g. My wife and I are ready to go somewhere and she says (e.g.) “oops, I forgot my iPhone . . . Just give me a minute!”. if she’s not back in a minute or less I start having an internal dialogue, actually speaking aloud to myself, “what the hell is taking so long! GD it . . . 4GD’s sake . . . (etc.)”. I also get antsy listening to someone talking haltingly and “taking forever” to get to the point!

And I could go on . . . and on . . . but who has the patience?? :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I know this is awful of me but I really find it hard to talk to people who stutter especially if it is severe, I mean I don’t say anything mean or criticize but I just try to avoid having a conversation because I really get frustrated and I’m afraid that I’ll hurt their feelings

In college, over 55 years ago, I chose “Sociology” as my major. On the very first day in one of my classes, The professor walked into the room and after a minute or two of silence, he began speaking . . . quite “normally” at first. Within a minute though he began to stutter and stammer . . . severely! The episode lasted for a good 5 to 10 seconds. It was very difficult to watch. I think everyone in the room felt anxious. Some people laughed . . . and I’m sure that was a manifestation of their anxiety. One or two students actually got up and left! I sat there and on some level, felt the urge to leave but didn’t. The hour long class seemed to go on forever as the professor presented very interesting and important information on the subject matter!

After a while I settled down and my level of discomfort softened. I thought:

"Here is a person, with an extreme speech impediment. And despite that, there he was, having what I assumed was great courage, standing in front of class of 18 to 20 year olds, sharing his expertise. He made no mention of his clearly obvious challenge. It “was what it was” . . . just one facet of who he was! After some days, I accepted how inconsequential it was. Turned out that he was one of the best professor I had.

After extensive research I handed in a paper entitled “The ritual use of peyote among the Navajo”. When the papers were returned, I was delighted to see “A+” on the front page. At the end of class that day, the professor approached me and commented on the excellence of my work! Not only that, he then proceeded to invite me to his home to discuss some further thoughts that he had about my paper. Well we stood 2 to 3 feet apart, his speech was interrupted by the same stammering and stuttering that took place every day during the class. I just waited, without discomfort, until he resumed discussion. I took him up on his invitation. As we sat together at his home, after about 30 minutes of discussion, he totally surprised me by suggesting, that if I would be willing to edit my paper, i.e. shortened it, he thought it had a very good chance of being published in a sociology journal.

After a few days to think about it, I came to the conclusion that I was so “burned out”, after putting so much effort into the paper, that would not go ahead with his suggestion.

It turned out, that, imho, this professor was the best of them all. I was so glad that I did not let my initial discomfort cause me to leave that very first day and give up on this brilliant, motivational “person” . . . Who, despite his oratory challenges, went on to get his PhD in Sociology and decided to become a professor!

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

I had a prof like that, too! Not only did he stutter, but he also talked in very long, complex sentences. And if you were ready to listen, it was a blast! He went on so many detours that we never finished the first book on the syllabus but he taught us so much about political and sociological thinking along the way just by musing about it that it hardly mattered. And the books weren’t going anywhere, so no loss there.

I had a hard time listening to professors, especially when I was tired, and his courses were often quite early in the morning. But his lectures were so complex that it took all my focus to keep up, a rare challenge even then, so I managed to stay awake through most of it.

I think I’m more lenient with stutters because I know the other guy suffers even more. But when people take forever to finish a point (with no such excuse), my brain often finishes the point ahead of time and then goes off in all kinds of directions before the sentence is over, and often it’s hard to focus back on what the conversation was about or what I wanted to reply five commas ago. On a bad day, that can be very aggravating.

3 Likes

This is also the case for me!!! When someone talks slow or reads slow or literally does anything slow I get really fidgety.

1 Like

When the presentation goes so slowly, I’m prone to distraction. Still, I have more trouble following along when the presenter goes too fast.

My favorite professor was African-American. He did not speak to fast or too slow. But he did keep things interesting, especially with his lecture style. He always sounded like he was delivering a sermon. Much different from any other teacher I’ve ever had.

1 Like

I remember one YouTuber (not Jessica) apologizing for how fast she talked when off her meds. I complimented her on being one of the few YouTubers whose videos I didn’t have to play at 1.25x speed.

1 Like

…I’m usually on 1.5-2x, and I’ll almost always be playing a game as well (freecell at a minimum).

1 Like

yes it feels really bad when that happens, just thinking about it makes me anxious!

Yeah! mee too I keep skipping parts of the videos that I watch, sometimes use cheats in games just to speed things up!

don’t get me started I worked as a teacher for a few years and my supervisors were like slow down so the students could follow you. and I just couldn’t no matter how I tried I would speed read passages in like 3x other people’s speed and students would just stare at me vaguely after I finish. This helped me run more interesting classes though, just to feel interested and stimulated I would usually develop fun exercises and this really improved my performance so I’m thankful for that at least.