Getting ready for the day!

I’ll be starting a new job soon and will need to be at work by noon. I’ve been having a hard time getting ready for the day before noon.

Sometimes I’m able to wake up earlier and not get too distracted, so I can be out the door by 10am. Usually it’s much later. Today I didn’t make it out of the house until around 5pm, and I didn’t even shower or anything.

I’m worried my attendance will suffer at work, and/or I’ll be really tired. Any tips?

It’s all about your routines and incentives for yourself to get up earlier to be on work on time.

I can’t say much on the subject though, this is actually one area I never struggled with so I don’t know what to say to help out.

My tips would be to:

1. Get up after 8 hours of sleep. Set a bed time and stick to it. Wake up everyday at the same exact time. No electronics for at least an hour before bed.

2. Before going to bed, write down what you need to do in the morning in the order you need to do them. When you wake up take that paper and don’t do anything else before finishing them. If you see something else that needs to get done write it at the end of the list.

3. Try to use your phone after you complete your list. Write even every step of your basic morning routine. I would also write it on a post it note so that you can stick it around.

4. Set alarms every ten minute of the half an hour you need to get out so you don’t forget it.

I hope this helps <3

A year ago, I went to some job integration measure that started at 12:30 on the other side of town. I had to leave at 11:50 to make it in time. Needless to say, I hardly ever made it in time. I’m pretty good at keeping in time if I have to, but the times I’m good at keeping are 6:30, 11AM, 2PM and 8PM, apparently. 11:50 was so in the middle of everything, I’d have to interrupt whatever I was doing just when I was really getting into it, so the only times I managed to be on time were when I got up so late that I didn’t have time to start any activities before leaving.

I now have a job that I have to leave at about 9:05 for. That’s easy. I don’t start any meaningful activities between breakfast and that. I do get up ridiculously early for that, though, because I don’t want to have to rush.

One thing I do, though, as a safety blanket: I set a second alarm for when I have to get ready to leave. Not when I have to leave - when I have to start the routine that results in me leaving. I haven’t even needed it yet but I’m keeping it for now. This strategy, of course, assumes the routine is set and I can sustain it on its own flow, which is easy for my job because it’s basically my morning routine but was really hard to pin down for that measure last year. I never managed to factor in everything I’d need to do before leaving, and I didn’t do it long enough (or enthusiastically enough) to monitor the process and develop a habit.

I hear you

But then the game all us brains play: where’s my keys, where’s my phone, and where’s my glasses?

Actually, my game was more along the lines of: Do I need to take a second breakfast before leaving because the course is during lunch time? Also, brush my teeth afterwards? Also, get dressed and not forget my cap again (because it was in the Winter)? Oh, but surely I can read that one email first, too, right?

Glasses, keys and phone were problems I solved long before having a schedule to stick to. My keys are always in my pocket unless it’s the Summer and I’m wearing the trousers with the hole in the pocket or I just changed pants in which case there’s a bit of a challenge. My glasses are usually right before my eyes and I have several occasions built into the routine to make sure they are (like trying to read a newspaper during breakfast). My phone, on the other hand, is always … somewhere? (It’s better now that I have a larger one.) No big deal if I forget that, though, most of the time.