Got the axe.

So I’ve been working in a technically demanding role for the last 4 months or so. I’ve had to read thousands of pages of tech manuals and procedures, and learn to put all of the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle together.

I was doing well, and making great progress (I thought).

I only received my diagnosis a week before I started the new job, so this was the first time I had to notify my supervisors that I have ADHD.

The rest of my work crew were distant and uncooperative from the first day, and that made it tough.

But with my new meds, I was getting further than I ever have before with the work.

In the end, while I was gaining ground with the work, I was getting stressed by my interactions with the rest of the crew.

I blew up at a senior crew member (one of the ones I actually get along well with). He was notorious for being nit picky and pedantic, but I only really had a problem with him over a three night period, where he kept hammering me over little things, in an aggressive manner due to his lack of sleep, 12 hour shifts and his own stressful workload and family life.

He came at me out of the blue, and blasted me. So I blasted him back and let it all come out. I guess he tripped something in my brain (possibly related to my new meds), and I had a hissy fit out of all proportion to my usual way of handling this sort of thing.

The guy understood immediately how his behaviour had been unwarranted, and apologised sincerely to me. But my reaction had already done the damage.

After that, I knew all eyes were on me, and I lost confidence in my ability to do the job. I found myself going backwards.

I messed up a few times, and gave them the ammo to shoot me.

Which they did. I am now unemployed again.

Yippedy doo dah day.

Oh man, that sucks. I am so sorry.
I wish I could offer more than words. If you need to vent, have at it here, man.

Vent, vent, vent, vent.

Much better now, cheers mate! :slight_smile:

It’s all good. Another page in the book. I had high hopes for this job though.

In the same boat man. Sometimes you think you doing well but a couple mess ups later they say we think its time to let you go. Hurts even more when its only been a hand full of months too. Don’t worry you’ll get back on your feet. Like dude said earlier it may only be words but some support and encouragement better than nothing. Good luck.

@Smoj, I hope the day will come (sooner, rather than later) when you will realize that getting out of that job was a blessing in disguise. I left my old job a few months ago because it was impossible for me to be the drone they expected me to be, and blindly follow time-consuming, unconstructive orders, when I could see faster, more efficient ways of doing things. When you’re under that much pressure, you will mess up. That’s just the nature of the beast. I hope you are able to take this opportunity to take some time to find the job that you want!

Let me know if you need job-searching tips! I’ve become quite the expert!! :laughing:

Oh Simon… I’m so so so sorry.
I’m so sorry.
But I’m glad you seem to be okay :heart:

Perhaps you’ll get another job that won’t steal you away for so long eh?
I can hope. :grin: :heart:

You still doing okay?

That sucks, I’m sorry.