Grad student with ADHD & no topic for dissertation

Anyone with tips for a student who still needs a topic for a dissertation & little time to decide? Any way to block out distractions? Work through the block? Support also welcome.

1 Like

I have a to do list that helps me through high priority items. But for a super critical task like yours, I write it on a big sheet of paper and put it where I can’t ignore it, taped to my computer monitor. Instead of "pick a dissertation topic, I’d make the actual list of possibilities and pin it there and if necessary a copy on the bathroom mirror or above the toilet. Other tools? Call/write anyone/everyone for opinions on this list. Update your list with these opinions and pro/con tallies. Give yourself a deadline ahead of the real one to decide. Write it down bigly and put it on the fridge door. Make it your mantra to make it important, get it done.

1 Like

Tell us about your degree and some of the requirements of the dissertation. You have peaked my interest.

3 Likes

We’d be happy to help, maybe brainstorm some ideas so you get some options to chose from, if you provide us with a few details.:blush::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hi there! I’d be happy to. It’s a masters in global mental health, and it needs to be withing this realm and I am thinking of doing a systematic review but I need to fill out a form detailing a question and the methods I will use. The issue is the question I’ll be asking of existing papers.

1 Like

I’m having a hard time getting one question I want to ask in regards to alcohol use disorder in low an middle income countries. Sort of vague and also specific, but I’m not sure if they dats I want already has been collected.

1 Like

I suspect part of the problem is that any studies you want to use for data are already answering questions similar to identical to your own ideas… Hmmm…

Have you done a lot of initial research, found some promising data sources? That’s usually the very first step in a grad thesis… Before you formulate your question, you find data and sources, then you narrow down what you want to look at.

1 Like

Maybe something about how it dampens the economy? Domestic violence rates? Comorbidity with other mental health issues? But data for that will be extremely difficult. I’d say you’ve chosen something very difficult by focusing on low- and middle-income countries, as their national data sets aren’t usually very good, nor very regular, not to mention potentially hard to access. And mental health is also usually far more taboo there than in high-income countries…

2 Likes

Good point, @Marodir. @Mich, how about comparing treatments or length of wait for treatment in countries with nationalized health care versus those with privatized health care? You could stick to first world countries where you would have better access to data.

2 Likes

Also maybe something about the private vs. public systems in both contexts as well, maybe include an analysis/a look at how having a functioning public system affects private wait times? Presumably it should force the private system to be more competitive? But if politicians forces it to not function properly (funding, job position allocations), it might allow private to be more greedy, as customers will continue to exist?

P.S.
@scot, is there something you can pass on to the overlords about how shitty 'reply’ing is working? Most of the time, the person who’s reply button I clicked doesn’t get an @ in the header of my message… It works sometimes, every time if I respond a SECOND time, but less than half first time I respond. This is the second attempt. Works this time… Thanks…!:sweat_smile:

1 Like

@Mich Have you picked something yet? The biggest thing for me is picking something I’m really interested in or is close to home. I knew I had to finish a huge triple discipline capstone project, so I decided to center my research around ADHD since I was already researching it for myself anyway. I don’t know if that helps, but best of luck :hearts:

I focused on how to raise awareness regarding the social stigmas, stereotypes, and myths that cause the tribe to leave our ADHD on the sidelines much of the time and make it more difficult for us to function

Do I tell or not? medicate? what will others think? accomodations? how well should I be functioning? should I use my adhd to explain things? and so many more questions we are always asking ourselves are only necessary because society’s perspective on ADHD is so clouded by falsehood or misassumptions. It’s a bigger deal than you can really explain easily, so how do you address it?? etc. :upside_down_face:

1 Like