Greetings from a monk with ADHD

Howdy! I am a Benedictine monk in North West Missouri who has ADHD. I was diagnosed with ADD/ADHD when I was ten years old (my parents need the Nobel Peace Prize for raising three boys with ADHD and one girl with autism, true saints!) Just wanted to say hi to all those who are in the tribe, God bless you all + :slight_smile:

It takes a special kind of soul to deal with us doesn’t it
ARHDMonk?
Be blessed good sir.

Amen to that Dragon73!! God put all of us brains here for a reason, to tell the world straight! In a weird hectic chaotic sorta way, HA!! :wink:

Well said

I’m a born again Christian

Romans 7:15-25 ESV / 43 helpful votes

For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. …

That sounds like an ADHDer

Hi Pizzatom52!! God bless you my friend! During daytime prayer today there was a quote (which of course I forgot HA!!) that sounded like ADHD too!! I will find it tonight and share it. God has a funny sense of humor doesn’t he. God bless you :slight_smile: +

Thank you Fscott! God bless you + :slight_smile:

“Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his lifespan?” Luke 12:25…Sometimes I need to be reminded of this.

I’m Episcopalian myself, expressed my views in another post:

I myself welcome anyone here from any faith. I have no problem with some light talk back and forth regarding religion and reciting some bible verses occasionally.

I’d like to remind that we are here to focus more on ADHD specific topics since we are all trying to better ourselves through ADHD.

Welcome to the tribe :slight_smile:

Thanks Scott!!! God bless ya Brother! If you are ever in North West Missouri stop by the monastery. We host all walks of faith, and a nice guest house too! Ha! + :smiley:

Is that a catholic monk?

What’s it like being a monk?

Hi Enzo! Yup Roman Catholic.

Hi Eon3000. It is wonderful being a monk! As a monk we pray six times a day in our Abbey Basilica https://www.conceptionabbey.org/monastery/basilica/

It is nice because our prayer life is structured on a Monastic Horarium (schedule) so having ADHD having this type of structure is VERY nice! Also I take classes in our College Seminary, and having another type of schedule is nice too. Of course when the ADHD comes into play it can be a real pain and a challenge BUT with the community that I have both as a student and as a monk everyone is very understanding, and it is like being in a BIG family with 60 other brothers. And trust me I am not the only one with ADHD in the monastery too. Back on June 10, 2002 we had a gunmen entering our monastery (which is cloistered or private- only for the monks) killing two monks and wounding two others until he eventually took his own life on the Abbey property, and the way the community pulled together and forgave the man who went through the monastery I thought “that is a community that the Lord and our Blessed Mother wants me to join.” And I have been a monk for over ten years, entering when I was twenty years old.

Hi ADHDMonk!

I’m not as familiar with Benedictine monks as I am with Franciscan friars. My uncle was a Franciscan and we called him Monkle Joe instead of Uncle Joe which occasionally got us a lecture on the difference between Benedictines and Franciscans, :joy: Great to meet you!

Awwww how cool!!! God bless you Tgeb +

Great to hear you have something you enjoy and helps with your adhd, im a atheist personally and get what your saying about routine and sense of belonging if that’s what you mean, also love open discussion about these sort of things because i often it can be a subject that is hard to talk about without offending someone, or i should say someone getting offended.

Just think of it like this Enzo, we are brothers with ADHD!!! What do brothers do, they argue once in awhile but they make up at the end. Oh and yes that is what I mean about my ADHD, HA!! Peace to you Bro! :relaxed:

In Chicago, the kids say brah. Im a high school teacher.

Greetings. :slight_smile:
I am Atheist.
Science and stuff. Have been exploring philosophy.