Hello from Minnesota

Hi, my name is Heather. I recently found this forum and wanted to connect for new ideas and to find people like me since I frequently feel that no one understands me. I was diagnosed a long time ago, but that doesn’t mean it is any easier to cope. I’ve had a long time to try things out, though, so I hope I can help someone.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Tribe, Heather!:blush:

1 Like

Welcome to the tribe Heather!

I’m happy to see that you’re a Cub master. One of the most positive influences on my life was the Scouting movement as a kid… It gave me some form of confidence at least, and I eventually won Scout of the Year.

I almost stayed in it to become possibly the youngest Scout leader in Australia (we didn’t have Venturer Scouts in my town, not sure what they’re called in the US…), but took off to South America instead.

My Scout leader gave me a good lesson in life the first day I joined… He praised me for having a firm handshake and looking him in the eye. I’ve always remembered that. He was from the old school, and gaining his respect meant a lot to me.

It was my Granddad who initially told me when I was much younger “Stand tall. Shoulders back, chest out, shake hands firmly, and look people in the eye”. He was an ex-RAF sergeant, and merchant marine first officer. So I felt validated when I got praised in front of the troop on my first day.

Incidentally, that old Scout leader (“Eagle” was his name) ended up winning the first division lottery. He and his wife kept quiet about it, and just disappeared one day. The smart move. They deserved it.

Bring it on!!! :wink:

1 Like

Smoj,

In the US, Venturers are Scouts age 14-21 that do adventure-type activities like winter sports, rock climbing, etc. If you are talking about Scouting after Cub Scouts, we have finally accepted girls and are called Scouts BSA. I’m the outdoor activities coordinator in the Scouts BSA troop for my two older boys, but I stepped up as Cubmaster for my youngest two kids because the pack would have folded if I didn’t. No one wanted to do it. This is totally stretching my abilities since I’m really bad a planning things, but I think my ADHD helps me plan things more exciting for kids because I have a short attention span. When I was a kid, girls weren’t allowed to be Cub Scouts, but I still have to say that Scouting is one of the most influential things in my life. I may have acquired it as an adult, but Scouting has taught me to be a leader and I think it is helping my career too.

1 Like

Maybe delegate some things to the kids? I was in Cubs briefly in one town, but never really took to it because there was too much hand holding. I wanted to do more, but we even had adults putting up the tents for us. I guess with young kids, you can’t expect to much. But some of them might step up…

Sounds fair to me. :))

I’d agree, I still use some of the fundamentals I was taught in Scouts on a daily basis. At work (when I am actually working), it’s always me who ties the knots. And they always hold, and always come undone easily. :smile:

I cringe when other people tie knots that are messy, slip, and have to be hacked off with a knife while under load.

It also taught me more about achieving goals than school ever did. It’s a hugely awesome organisation.

We didn’t have girls in Scouts either when I was a kid (we have them now in Australia too, not sure how long ago that started…), but it might have taught me something about interaction, maybe I wouldn’t have been as shy as I have been.

1 Like

Welcome to the Tribe!

I was a Cub Scout. Made it all the way to my arrow of light ceremony before dropping out. I don’t think my parents could have handled a full-on Boyscout.

I was so proud of my merit belt with all of its metal belt badges. Not to mention, the Pinewood Derby which was the highlight of every year. I even won 1st place in my pack when I was a Wolf.

2 Likes

I love the Cubs. There is nothing more adorable than the youngest ones trying to figure out which hand to salute with! :smile:

1 Like