Hello from South Africa!

Hi Everyone!

Great to have a Forum that I can speak to fellow “brains”! It feels pretty lonely here in South Africa, ADHD is still very Taboo here and a lot of people still see it as an excuse! I was diagnosed when I was 31 with Severe ADHD and Developmental Dyslexia. I always knew that there was something different about me, but I never could put my hand on it, until my dad heard someone speaking about it on Radio and realised that, that is exactly his son and wife! My mom and I went for tests, she was diagnosed at the young age of 60!!
I went for a second and third opinion and all three confirmed.
I am now on Concerta and man has that changed my life!
I would love to start a support group here in Johannesburg, but not sure how to go about it and also scared that I will get labelled at work etc.
Well that’s my intro, hope to meet some fellow South Africans here! Otherwise, great to be able to discuss things with like minded “BRAINS”!

You know the funny thing about this forum? You are no longer different here.

Welcome to the tribe!

Thanks Smoj!
Hope to learn from all of you! I can honestly say that I feel like a 3 year old toddler, learning about myself again! :sweat_smile: My strengths weaknesses etc.!!:grin:

No worries Hugo. Nice to meet a fellow colonial (I’m Aussie). I don’t know if there are any other South Africans here, I’ve only been here a week or two myself. Diagnosed a couple of days ago.

It’s definitely a funny feeling, after not having any answers for so long. :+1:

You’ll feel right at home in this forum. There are so many stories here that will be familiar to you.

Hello Hugo and welcome!

I’m glad that, despite it being considered taboo, you still were able to get a diagnosis and medication! I’m so glad to hear that it’s helped your life :heart: It’s definitely scary when something is still heavily considered taboo, I hope South Africa inches closer to accepting it rather than trying to keep it hidden.

At the very least this is a safe area for you! :heart: No taboo here! Only waving bears, encouragement and help! :smiley:

Speaking of feeling like a toddler… the older I get, the less I’m sure the actual age when I’m an “adult.”

Yebo yes
I am a South African. I can confirm that ADHD is taboo here. I have not found a support group or cognitive behaviour therapist/trainer.
I was diagnosed as an adult but by then the damage was done and I suffer from other disorders due to a difficult childhood. My son of 5 years have all the signs ADHD but is not diagnosed. He is suffering at school with no one willing to accommodate him. I don’t really know how to help him.
I told my work place recently that I have ADHD and they did not respond well.
How are you dealing.

Hi @ThunderBolt (& @8.Awesome) :relaxed:

I’m delighted to have found fellow South Africans here! :south_africa:

I completely agree that ADHD is not well received in our country.
Unfortunately, there seems to be a stigma attached to all mental-health related topics.

However, “South Africa has one of the highest rates of prescribing medication for ADHD – it’s even higher than in the USA!” (Health24, 2017). This is obviously not necessarily a good thing. We don’t have enough education or even awareness about ADHD. It is a good thing that many doctors are willing to prescribe medication… But, it can become extremely problematic when that is the only step taken - as if medication is a solution and/or the only treatment option - and no further explanation is given.

People like to speak about, ‘concentration problems’ and not ADHD or even “ADD”… Does anyone know if there is any such thing?

Last year, my first year at university, I was exposed to the misuse of ADHD medication. It was very upsetting. Yes, this does happen in many countries, but the fact that ADHD medication seems so readily available with so little knowledge about ADHD is what is worrying. This also enforces the myths and misconceptions surrounding it.

On the bright side, things can only get better. There have been some recent moves towards awareness and the better understanding of the different types of ADHD. Hopefully, we begin to see a difference.

Here are two SA webpages for us to take a look at:
http://www.adhasa.co.za/ - mainly focused on children, also advertises local events/conferences
https://www.health24.com/Medical/ADHD - there is an expert who answers commenter’s questions!

Good luck!

Hi @8.Awesome, have you taken your son to a doctor regarding ADHD? A diagnosis would probably encourage his school to be more understanding and therefore more accommodating. I know first hand that there are doctors in our country that are stuck in traditional ways and don’t seem to understand, but there are certainly some that are learned enough to diagnose people.

These sites might provide some support for you and your son.

I hope that you will be able to help your little boy!

Hey everyone so glad to see fellow South-Africans though I was all alone here. I was only diagnosed in 2016 when I was in my first year of Varsity and because of everything I heard about ADHD I never realized how much it impacts my life. I am only now after all this time starting to realize it and being able to start working on overcoming everything that comes along with it. Wish me luck because I have quite a mess to sort out.

Guys there are so many of us ( South Africans) Here We can almost have a ADHD Braai we would just need to remember who was suposed to bring what…

With my luck I would be tasked with bringing the Lamb Tjops and endup bringing a PAPTART lol

Support groups are helpful.
I wish you best.

Always wanted to go and see South Africa, but there are so many of you buggers over here in Australia, it’s almost like I don’t have to! :smile:

I’d be up for an airfare if there was a braai going! I could bring some Chinese Take Away (the national food of Australia).