Hello from Washington!

Hi everyone :wave:

I am Aashna and I just got my diagnosis this week at the age of 30 and I honestly feel sense of relief that I haven’t felt my whole life. It FINALLY put everything into perspective. Like why I get bored so easily, why my brain just never seems to quiet down and focus on something, and why if I don’t have my mom around to manage things for me, I completely fall apart.

Anyway, I set out to find other people like myself and that’s how I ended up here.

3 Likes

Hello @Aashna and welcome to the Tribe! :wave:
I’m also new to the forum and getting a diagnosis (I actually just got back from my 1rst appointment) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome! I’m so glad the diagnosis has been positive for you and helped give you new insight!

1 Like

Hi @Jiwi

Nice to meet you!! :blush: How did your appointment go?

1 Like

Hi @quietlylost

Nice to meet you and thank you!!

2 Likes

I came home with a bunch of scales and tests to fill in + been prescribed a blood test as well. The psychiatrist wants to check whether or not I may have another condition (hypo/hyperthyroidism for instance). You could be helpful for the latter! :wink:

2 Likes

Hehe. Yeah I can try to be! I am almost in remission with my hyperthyroidism :dancer:

1 Like

@Aashna

:clap:

Good move coming here! Unless one walks in someone else’s shoes they really don’t know ADHD. That goes for mental health professionals too. I’m lucky to have a psychiatrist who was open in revealing her ADHD to me. She “knows” of the things I talk with her about.

On the other side of the coin, I saw a licensed clinical social worker who specializes in CBT. She asked me a whole bunch of questions to hammer down a diagnosis (other than or in addition to ADHD). Since I went to see her initially because of the problems I have with anger she immediately pulled out the DSM, asked me questions based on the criteria for Intermittent Explosive Disorder.

Happens that I too was, until my recent retirement, an LCSW. Perhaps she found that threatening, especially when I questioned her diagnosis which she insisted was Intermittent Explosive Disorder. The more I questioned her decision the more defensive she became. Finally she said that we could no longer work together because it “just wasn’t a fit“. I was willing to continue but she said no. Even though I could tell she was annoyed in that last session, as I stood up to leave she extended her hand, give me a perfunctory handshake, and said “good luck”. I just shook my head and quietly left.

I’m sorry that I went off on this tangent. My main message to you is “welcome”.

2 Likes

Barry and Aasha there’s a quote:

Friends, or good therapists, are found and not made through length of association.

I forget who originally said this.

1 Like

I agree. It is so important to find people who understand you. I was lucky in finding the clinic that I did. My PCP, behavioral counselor, and now PsychNP are all so great. I am so glad to have them.

2 Likes

That’s a great quote!

2 Likes

Another shorter one that comes to mind is that “life is too short to drink bad wine”. IMO stayingng upset about not having been diagnosed earlier, etc. is to keep drinking the same said bad wine.
All the best, with it all.

1 Like