Hello, I'm new here

Hi, I’m Stella, a 27 year old med student soon to be a doctor with ADHD. I always suspected it as well as my mom, who is a special eds teacher. She helped me a lot through my school years learning strategies how to cope best. I’m studying medicine in a foreign country at the moment. Due to the stress and I guess due to my ADHD symptoms I fell into depression in my 3rd year of med school.That was 2 years ago. Thus I was introduced into therapy and also insisted to run an ADHD diagnostic at my Psychiatrist office. She first didn’t belive me I could have it because I can mask well when I’m not at home (Uni, clinics, doctors office). But I still struggle with deadlines, concentrating and being distracted from my tasks. And often, when I’m hyperfocused, forget all the other tasks I should do. Thus my apartment is often a mess and there is always a mountain of laundary I still need to iron. So I insisted on the test and yes I was diagnosed with it. I’m not on meds besides SSRI for the treatment of my then diagnosed depression, which is gone by now. My doctor does not recommend me ADHD meds, since she says I’m coping well. ( I doubt that though, since I can be a chaos queen sometimes). That is my story in a nutshell. I’m looking for other people with an ADHD brain here to exchange some strategies. My struggle as mentioned are mundane tasks like housework and keeping everything in order in my apartment. (Where are my keys again? lol) Maybe you guys have some tips for me.

1 Like

welcome, Stella. that sounds incredibly frustrating.

Ask them about atomoxetine. It’s a norepinephrine inhibitor, less associated with serotonin syndrome than ssri meds. But they can also help pull emotions on an even keel. The stress from the ADHD in a normie world is far more likely to be the cause of your depression than it actually being clinical depression. The Atomoxetine or Straterra has helped me clear my mind and made my coping mechanisms easier to maintain. I’m 43 now and only just sought treatment for my ADHD because the hormonal changes of my peri-menopausal brain are just too much.

The best strategy for you is going to be a different doctor.

And I don’t know where your keys are… I can’t even find mine :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Welcome Stella!

Becoming a Doctor with ADHD. Congrats!

I’m 74 and retired . . . in my day I wanted to be a Chemist . . . but a rigid, non-sympathetic, neuro-typical grad. student (Lab Instructor) insisted that we memorize the “flow charts” used to identify an unknown substance (dissolved in clear water). I had no clue that my difficulty in memorization was due to short term memory issues, related to undiagnosed ADHD. So I got a “D” in the course . . . and turned off to Chemistry! Wound up getting an MSW and worked with people with serious and persistent mental illness.

I’m sure that your journey through academia and now Medical School has not been easy!
btw: Ed Hallowell, MD is a psychiatrist with ADHD . . . his specialty! You might want to GOOGLE him. He has a website.

Stick around and keep us apprised of your progress. Everyone here is kind, sincere, and supportive . . . not to mention helpful.

Barry
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Welcome to the HowToADHD forums @Stella !

Hmmm… Tips… How about this:

• Take a picture of your apartment, to show your psychiatrist what you are struggling with. Sometimes, people think things like, “well, practically everybody struggles with a little clutter.”

I am on non-stimulant atomoxetine (a generic of Strattera). I was previously on Adderall XR, which was half as effective as the atomoxetine is for me.

But, there a saying… “Pills don’t teach skills.” It’s far easier for me to direct my attention than it was before I started on ADHD meds, but I have some of the same struggles with real-world issues like clutter and being on time. I’m more aware of these issues and my need to deal with them, it’s just that I have more on my plate than I can handle at the moment.

(It doesn’t help that my life has been in chaos for over a year, due to family and relationship issues. Things should be settling down for me soon, so I’ll have a chance to work on my habits, and hopefully get some ADHD coaching.)

2 Likes

Schedule tasks. You got a calendar on your phone? Type in the task, add in a slot during your day, and make sure to turn reminders on. As long as you don’t ignore the reminder, it works pretty well. Also recommend getting a to do list app if you lose your to do lists a lot. I personally use Google Calendar and Habitica, but you can use basically any calendar or to do list app. Most phones come with calendars, and if you can only use your computer, then I’d try Google or MS calendar. Habitica is also available on computers, but requires an internet connection to work.

Also launch pads. Put all your things you need for class, work, internship, etc. in one place, preferably near the door.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for wellcoming me. You gave me some good tipps. I tried to use a calender before but unfortunatley I didn’t stick to that system. But iI have to force myself to note something down or simply forget it. Sometimes I even know due dates but don’t start because I need the thrill of doing everything last minute to start. Which does work most of the times. But iI have to force myself to note something down or simply forget it. But I could have better results if I would start on time. How I managed to become a med student. Well it was not a straight path. Didn’t have the marks in my own country (Germany) so I had to go abroad and do it in English.
It might sound funny but memorizing charts is not my thing either. I manage my knowledge differently. Eg I remember better if I have an example case, made a mistake (learnig from mistakes helps a lot) or from logic. Drawing a chart might also help. Or picturing it in your head. aka mind palace. I think we ADHD brains can memorize things, but differently then others. And we are not able to acces it all the time when we lack focus.

2 Likes