Hello new person here but not new to ADHD!

Hey fellow ADHDers! My name is Zoe. I was diagnosed at an early age and started medication in 3rd grade. I started educating myself on ADHD in middle school because I started noticing I was struggling. The youtube channel How to ADHD was what inspired me to know more about ADHD and now I am self aware of who I am. I started ADHD coaching in January of 2021 and have thrived with it but lately have been struggling with deep emotions and feeling alone even though I know I am not. I want to find more people who understand being a college freshman with ADHD and like to talk about it. Anyone have a similar story?

3 Likes

Welcome to the HowToADHD forums @zoefreedomadhd !

(I don’t have a similar story. I wish I had been diagnosed much earlier, but I only got diagnosed last year at 45 years old.)

1 Like

I have always wondered where I would be now if I never had a diagnosis. I always wonder who else in my family has it because it is hereditary. I know my dad has it

1 Like

i was diagnosed at 35, but before i even knew anything about adhd, a few years ago i actually went back to college and it reminded me of how much i struggled when i was younger within education, i had always put it down to being young and care free and really just not caring, but then i found myself as an adult who seriously wanted to pass my exams yet still had exactly the same issues as when i was a kid.

then i found jessicas failing at being normal ted talk and it explained everything, whilst in college i started the long journey towards an assesment and although the assesment came to late (just after my final exams lol) whilst on that journey I had learnt enough about adhd and strategies to deal with it that i passed my exams all the same :grin:

1 Like

Hi, Zoe! I’ve been in college for…
pauses to count on fingers
…a while. I did dual enrollment, so even though I’m on my second to last semester of my associate’s I’m technically “freshman age.” And yeah, I get the feeling alone. :confused: My community college isn’t very big, and they don’t have any explicitly ADHD resources that I’m aware of. I only found out one of my classmates is ADHD by accident, and we’re halfway between acquaintances friends so we don’t talk outside of class.

1 Like

Yeah I always find out people have ADHD as an accident. One of my friends told me she was nervous to tell me she has ADHD. We haven’t talk about it and don’t know how to talk to her about it because I feel like she doesn’t want to. I don’t want to make her uncomfortable.

1 Like

That is awesome! I am so thankful for Jessica and her passion for educating people on ADHD.

1 Like

I dunno why, but actually telling people I know IRL always makes me anxious. I’m working on it, because I want to be able to talk about it freely, though.

I think knowing what it is, with the help of Jessica’s videos, I knew how to explain it. Not perfectly but any knowledge I had about ADHD was way more than the average person. I started faking my confidence in ADHD and it really was the definition of faking it until you make it. Just start bringing it up anyway you can. It has helped me see who is really there for me as a friend and improved my relationships with people. If problems do happen in friendships then you know who to trust.

I felt weird about telling people for the first few months after getting my diagnosis, but over the years I’ve worked with a number of people who were open about their ADHD or ASD diagnosis (oddly, the IT department at my last employer seemed to draw people who are ADHD).

Now, I don’t feel any reservations about telling people that I have ADHD. (It’s a little over a year since I was diagnosed.) I don’t tell everyone, but I don’t mind telling anyone.

1 Like