Help a Teacher/Student out

Hello everybody, first post here.
As an Adhd student school was beyond difficult, so, when the time to choose a major came, I looked back at those lifesavers, and the decision was easy, I’m majoring in “Teaching English as a foreign language”.
Last Monday was my first day as a teacher in an elementary school, I only have one class, of 10 or 11 years old students. On Wednesday I lost the key to my locker, trapping the book, cd a cd player inside. On Friday while looking back, I realised that my students were bored most of the time. And in 2 weeks I will go back to my classes at college.
So I’m asking for advice in 4 subjects.
I will always remember two teachers. 1 Who in elementary school notice something in me and asked my parent to ask a doctor about ADHD, he was the first step in the right direction. And the teacher who saw beyond the mess I was, part ADHD part a severe depression, and more than once went to streets to find me and get me to class, without her I wouldn’t have finished highscool. So, to brains in general, could you share a story about what that teacher did for you? I wanna be a lifesaver for the next little brain lost at sea and having a bigger picture would help a lot.
For fellow teachers, any tips for a newbie on how to manage time to plan lessons and all that stuff
And for brains who have worked/are working in the morning and went/go to school in the afternoon, any tips on how to balance and find time for the two?
Thank you in advance and sorry if I don’t answer back soon, gotta find some to help me change the lock in my locker.

I am a teacher with ADHD too and I wanted to be a life saver too. But I actually stopped to have that as my major goal. I just do whatever I can to help my students, if they are a brain or not. Try to focus on the class as a whole. It is great that you want to help students and that is something to admire. Your motivation to become a teacher is the right one, I can tell you that.

On lessons my advice is to experiment with many strategies and activities. Don’t back down when you have a bad lesson. You are still learning and probably paying a lot of money to experiment, learn and, most importantly, make mistakes. Teaching isn’t something you learn in a day. You’ll get the hang of it when you keep trying.

I don’t have an inspirational story. I was a problem student and I never got diagnoses until I was 24 and in my second year of teaching school. I dropped out of secondary (high) school and I was really down in the dumps at that time. My teachers couldn’t help me anymore. But all that time I knew that they knew I would eventually be OK. They were right.

What I take from that time and those teachers is that you have to trust your students that they will find their way and it really helps them I you believe they can, even when you don’t say it out loud. When behaviour is bad, doens’t automatically mean that it’s a bad person. But I don’t have to tell that to a fellow brain.

Good luck with your teaching. You can do it! Sorry for the long reply. Teaching is just such a big subject. It is hard, but it is super fun :wink:

I always plan my class in the same five small steps:

1. Check for previous knowledge. Mostly what they remember from yesterday’s class, or whatever they need for today’s class. (3 minutes)
  2. Explain the new topic. This can be a teacher presentation, or the students have to read and explain to each other. Whatever the dynamic is. (10 minutes)
  3. Explain the independent activity. Demonstrate them one example yourself, and have one student demonstrate how it is done to check if they got the instruction. (5 minutes)
  4. Independent student activity. Whether it is a worksheet, a lab experiment, a project, team work etc. Have some extra work for students who finish fast. (20 minutes)
  5. Exit ticket. Do a quick check to make sure that the great majority has achieved the goal of the lesson. It can even be a short pop quiz. (5 minutes)

Usually, I tend to plan with too much work than can be handled in the time. But there are always some students who finish really fast. So I determine how much is essential for all students to do, and what may be done as extra work.
Better have too much material prepared, than not enough.

My current school has a nice way to make sure that all lessons are tied to a goal. The learning goal has to be written on the board in form of an “I can…” statement. That turns out to be very helpful to me.

Hope this helps.