Hi, Brains! The name is David. How dee doo?

I’m so glad to have found such a spectacular and strong community, and I’m glad to say that I’ve been a (lurking) fan for at least a year now.

Let me give a quick introduction. c:

I’m 18 and currently attending a tech institute university, and boy was it NOT easy to get here. Academics was a breeze up until high school (was basically an all-A’s honor student), but even then, I managed to get through it. Now, college is my next stage in life.

I am not officially diagnosed with ADHD/ADD, but I strongly suspect I have it, and I have suspected that “something’s different about me” as of a few years ago. I have a lot of the supposed symptoms. Some to a lesser degree (disorganization), and some I don’t have at all (I USUALLY don’t misplace things, thank goodness). Now that I’m in college, I’m starting to see some of my old struggles from high school resurface, and I’m worried that it might get in my way. However, what’s stopping me from getting a diagnosis is:

1. My parents saying that I’m just making stuff up or that I’m using this as an excuse.
  2. Since I was able to breeze through school as a kid, I’m worried that it may not even be ADHD/ADD (since I didn’t really notice any problems before the age of 12), but after quite a bit of research of trying to figure out what was “wrong with me,” ADHD/ADD seems like the closest match.

I don’t see my potential ADHD/ADD as a problem or obstacle, however. It’s just another lens I can possibly look through. My older sister was diagnosed with ADD and she’s functioning greatly as a person, and even graduated from a very difficult university. I’m proud of her, and I aim to follow in her footsteps, although it certainly will be hard!

This is just me sharing my personal story. And ironically, I’m writing this instead of working on my 5 page paper that’s due next week. Hmmm.

Hey, Brains…! Have a good night and rest easy for me! :smiley:

~ David

Hey, great that you share :slight_smile: on your first point about parents, my opinion would be respect their opinion but takes the steps you need to find out if it is ADHD because you know yourself 100 times better than anyone else and getting some answers whatever they might be will surely help put your mind at ease a little, second point and this is just my experience but primary school which goes till age 12 here i was 99-100% for most things apart from English because its a shit language with no real rules or logic :stuck_out_tongue: but as soon as high school here 13-18 i struggled so much not because the work was hard but just the boredom and different structure. From experience so far i have found most people that go down the looking into adhd path don’t just stumble on it for no reason, so i would say get checked out by a doc or whoever you need to see in your country and get a answer whatever it may be and forgot about anyone else opinions till you know for yourself :slight_smile:

Yeah, it’s weird because I was known as the “smart kid” prior to high school, and in high school I still held the same title to an extent, although I wasn’t first in my class and work was starting to become much more strenuous. Now, in college, I already had to drop two classes because the workload was increasing so much. What’s really strange is that I had to (in HS) study for like, 6-9 hours a day just for one simple test because I wasn’t able to process information quickly at all. Now, in college, my grades are dropping a lot and I keep meeting or surpassing deadlines for a lot of my assignments. I even told my Humanities professor quote on quote that, “it seems like no matter how much work I put in, I can never seem to catch up.” It’s like…other people around me can study a bit and do well on a quiz/text/exam, but I put in just as much study time to get maybe a third of their score.

Thank you for reading, Enzo. c:

Hello David and welcome!

If I may ask, do you enjoy learning? Does your brain find it super engaging and ‘fun’ in some aspect? Did you enjoy most of the subjects you had in school? I did really well in school, as well, which is why I never got diagnosed til I was 18-19 because as a kid the ADHD never impacted me negatively. I was a straight A student and I would’ve been taking AP courses had the home schooling system not been… basic. My Freshman supervising teacher had never had anyone take an AP course before. I took AP English and never continued with AP because the systems I homeschooled through just didn’t have the resources or teachers knowledgable enough in them to really offer it. (Which worked out since I was having meltdowns [which I didn’t know were meltdowns] at least twice a week because I would procrastinate on things… and forcing myself to read something I wasn’t interested in [looking at you British Lit] was INCREDIBLY hard.). In terms of you as a kid…

Where you super talkative, like not knowing when to be quiet? Were you squirmy? Hyperactive? Did you day dream at all? Did you ever hyperfocus your schoolwork because you were so interested in it? (I hyperfocused math and science as a kid.)

ADHD is very much a spectrum, but not a linear spectrum. Imagine a circle cut into different sections, and each section is a different symptom. The middle of this spectrum will be “severe”. The outter edges will be “don’t experience”. Your ADHD symptom spectrum will differ greatly from mine, which will differ greatly from Jessica’s, which will differ from my Dad’s. You might be closer to the center of the circle on certain things such as organization. You might be closer to the outter edge with others, such as misplacing things. But symptoms can go so much deeper than that as well.

I don’t often misplace things myself. I do on occasion but for the most part I don’t. THAT BEING SAID, my short term and working memory are terrible. I will say something and forget EXACTLY what I said 15 seconds later. Or I’ll forget a day happened entirely. Like I can’t remember what happened on Monday. I know I worked. But I have no recollection of most of the day. I know it happened. It’s not like I blacked out and don’t remember. I just… don’t remember the day. I also forgotten to bring things with me that I might need (I almost forgot some documents I had to bring in to work with me today as I have a DMV appointment).

I struggle with executive functions, and even executive functions you can pull apart and struggle more in one area than another. So remember to take all this into account when looking into your past as a child. Granted the executive function one is hard since… as a kid… other people do that for us. But look at both the inattentive symptoms as well as the hyperactive ones. Remember back and see if kid you falls into any of them. Emotional dysregulation is often typical with ADHD, for kids and adults. Though it’s not a symptom in the DSM-V, it is often recognized as an ADHD problem.

As for stopping getting a diagnosis do to your parents. Your sister has ADHD yes? Do they say that to her? Have you talked to your sister about it? Perhaps she could help?

And good luck on your paper!

Hi, Krystal! :smiley: I certainly feel welcome!

Yes, I am such a huge fan of learning new things. I am one of those kids that tend to question everything about how something works and why it works, especially in mathematics. I feel like there’s no point in memorizing things, so I tend to question every aspect of a certain concept to try and fully understand the “why” instead of just the “how.” I was really invested in my schooling, but mainly because my parents pushed me hard to always get those A’s (just Indian family things). I never really had a favorite subject in school back then, but I did prefer English (especially writing our own passages in creative writing) and science (such as anatomy, biology, chemistry, and astronomy as a pleasure reading subject).

I was actually more of an introvert/shy kid back in the day in my school environment. I’d only really open up and start getting active once I met and started to get to know people. At home, I was pretty imaginative and active. Still played with action figures and such maybe up to the age of 10 or 11. Hand me any inanimate object and I would have found a way to weave it into my “imaginary world.” At school, I was an odd kid, without a doubt. Also, yes: I daydreamed quite a bit back then. I still do, actually. A lot of my thinking when I’m not being spoken to directly consists of daydreaming. I find it really fun, actually. When I finally begin working on music, daydreaming may help me come up with new ideas with ease.

In terms of short-term memory, I’m in the same position. What’s weird is that I always had this thing where everything up to one week prior would be a blur of events jumbled together and I could never seem to remember something for the life of me, even something someone said to me (or I said to them).

I have some issues with some executive functions, but certainly not all. So you’re right in saying that even that can be dissected. As for emotions, that’s been a huge roller coaster throughout my teenage years. Right now, I’m the happiest I’ve ever been (so much so that it’s scary lol). Years ago, there was tons of depression and anxiety, and even that was constantly on and off. There were even one or two times when I actually wanted depression because it made my life more “interesting.” OfIt was very strange.

Yes, my sister has ADD. She was diagnosed and told me, but I’m pretty sure she also found out when she was an adult actually. She told me that she got through college with ADD without knowing she had it. I might talk to my sister after some more time has passed. I’m sure she could definitely help me out in this regard, but I’ll take my time with this one. I just want to fully prepare myself.

Thank you for the good luck! Gonna have to binge write most of this paper tonight haha.

Once again, thank you for the warm welcome. This is such a lovely and supportive community, and I’m glad to be a part of it now.

First off, welcome!

Harley has the bases pretty much covered. Good luck with your paper. Since ADHD does have a hereditary component, the fact your sister has been diagnosed means there is a higher likelihood you may be ADHD as well. I might suggest you check with student services at your university as they may be able to help both with finding accommodations to help you cope with schoolwork as well as possibly assist in starting the evaluation and diagnosis process if and when you decide to move forward with that. I would try to encourage you to seek a diagnosis and treatment sooner rather than later, since the sooner you seek help the sooner you can get help with your struggles. Either way I hope you find our resources helpful! :o)

If your parents are discouraging you from seeking an evaluation and you’re afraid they may disapprove, considering that you’re 18 and thus a legal adult, you’re not required to tell them or involve them in the process (and you’re protected by medical privacy laws). Assuming you’re still on their insurance it could be a bit tricky with things like insurance paperwork and benefits summaries, but I would definitely discuss those concerns with your doctor before dismissing it altogether.

There is no reason to be ashamed about possibly having ADHD. It doesn’t mean we’re “broken” just that our brains work differently. It sometimes creates difficulties we need to cope with, but it also gives us strengths too. And like you said, if nothing else, it provides a lens to look through and go “Oh, so that’s why I did that…” and can help provide a context to find better ways to manage the areas we have difficulty with.

Thank you for informing me, Marauder. :slight_smile:

I’ll eventually meet with student services to see what I could possibly do (might go to my adviser first, however). I hear they need “medical documentation” for accommodations, though. I wonder if they’ll help me with an evaluation. :thinking: And yes, I am still under their insurance. We have a family plan, I believe.

You’re right that ADHD is nothing to be ashamed about. Assuming I have it, It’s just a part of who I am and what has made me become who I am today. I always had a feeling that something was drastically “different” about me from other people, and maybe this might just be it. If anything, I’d be happy to finally get some answers about myself. It’ll help me understand myself better.

Thank you for reading. :heart:

You have the right attitude. The biggest and most important tool we have in knowledge and understanding. I don’t know what school you go to or what services they offer, but it doesn’t hurt to ask, and yes, your advisor definitely should be able to point you in the direction of services the university may offer to help.

You say you’re going to a technical institute, a lot of ADHD brains enter technical fields (myself included), so you’re in good company. :o)

What’s ironic, though, is that my absolute biggest dream is to become a musician. I feel like I have a story to tell, and music seems to be the right channel through which I can convey my emotions and story. I’m studying computer science mainly so that I can find a job for money, but that isn’t my lifelong dream. I will say that programming is very fun, however, because it allows me to use my creativity to come up with solutions to problems. :3