Hi everyone. I'm a software engineer with ADHD

@HarleyKyn & bear waving gifs are like bread & butter

2 Likes

I’m a software developer myself (mostly in the Microsoft stack these days).

1 Like
Welcome to the tribe Bojun!
I'm a total coding noob, but I've tried a few beginner courses, just so I kinda know what people are on about hehe
Hope to see you around here :)
1 Like

Woot software engineers for the win

2 Likes

It’s good to know that ADHDers can be successful engineers. I am a mechanical ADHDre struggling with engineering.

1 Like

You will and don’t give up coding doesn’t make a lot of sense at first but it will click eventually

I’m a software developer too, Python focus. 6 years in the industry. I’ve just recently started getting over my Impostor Syndrome, ostensibly rooted in studying humanities then being self taught (no comp sci degree). Now I realize the connection between my impostor syndrome and my ADHD, thanks to online content, and online communities such as this one (hello! My first post)

I also tend towards being a workaholic as an overcompensation. It takes vigilance to avoid it and it’s resulted in some rough patches.

I read this quote recently that connects both points for me (source):

ADHD may also lead to thinking that people think you’re incompetent, so you work extra-long hours to save face.

Bingo.

I am sharing this in case it resonates with others. You’re not alone. And you don’t have to overwork to compensate for your ADHD!

2 Likes

I basically know nothing else than overwork. If don’t i feel like shit just waiting to get fired

1 Like

@bojun I’ve learned that a company which cannot manage their capacity is not worth the trouble. There are many others.

Life is short and 20-80% of the work is busywork depending on the company and step in its growth. Even if you fix all of the stretch-goals, if you are not at the top of the company pyramid (not a founder or executive), you don’t benefit proportionally for your heroic exertion.

As for getting fired or missing a promotion, you’ll get more out of your software career by not burning out.

I forget all of this and fall back into overwork sometimes, too. It’s a growth process to keep trying.

1 Like

Belated followup: all of Hallowell’s books are great, but Driven to Distraction at Work was great in some extra, surprising ways. Audiobook available (I used Audible).

1 Like

The quote from a Robert heinlein book really resonates with me (he’s sci fi, so it is relevant to the topic).

Grok means “to understand,” of course, but Dr. Mahmoud, who might be termed the leading Terran expert on Martians, explains that it also means, “to drink” and "a hundred other English words, words which we think of as antithetical concepts. ‘Grok’ means all of these. It means ‘fear,’ it means ‘love,’ it means ‘hate’—proper hate, for by the Martian ‘map’ you cannot hate anything unless you grok it, understand it so thoroughly that you merge with it and it merges with you—then you can hate it. By hating yourself. But this implies that you love it, too, and cherish it and would not have it otherwise. Then you can hate —and (I think) Martian hate is an emotion so black that the nearest human equivalent could only be called mild distaste.

To understand something so thoroughly that you merge with it and it merges with you, how is that not ADHD with hyperfocus?

I’m rereading books I’ve read before. Since diagnosis and treatment I’ve revisited my past and who I was/ things I’ve done and how that’s helped to shape me.

I’ve always been ADHD, I am just aware now (woke) and I understand how I’m different.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is relevant to the conversation or not, but I read frank herberts Dune trilogy and absolutely loved it!!! Another suggestion is the Enders game series. You’d be surprised how many people only know of the first one :sweat_smile:

I only read the first book

2 Likes

I mean I read Enders game

2 Likes

The first book

2 Likes

Oh ok, the rest of the series has a bit of a different vibe but they’re still great

1 Like

Good…

Hey, fellow software engineer here!! I’m working on radios for the US military :blush: I love to read those genres too. What’re you reading now?

1 Like

There is a reason for that…

(They were, imho, not nearly as good. The Shadow of the Giant series was much better, it followed Bean after the war. But the rest? … eeeeeeh.)

1 Like

Big yay. I am not the only software loving nerd around here. :tada:

For me it is fun and a hobby. One ingredient of my hobby set, I enjoy really much. They are all connected with each other. By the way love to read, too. It took a bit time to figure myself out. I am best described as a modder and designer when it comes down to software. Set my heart on web design for example, especially accessibility stuff. Or love to use all kinds of software tools out of their box. Love to experiment and play. I am a very creative person. I can’t say that I have a favorite language or tool. I collect useful stuff and build up my tool set constantly.

I rearranged the rbg web safe color cube, thihihi. Turned it into a colorblind friendly drawing palette. :grin:

1 Like