Hi! I'm John

I’ll try to keep this shorter than the 50+ trips I’ve made around the sun.

I did fine in school as a kid, graduating college as a teenager. It was in grad school and working life that I have struggled. I’ve done fine as a software engineer, but never felt I have come close to my potential. Though I know I have a lot of the traits, I’ve never been diagnosed with ADHD. Put a neuropsychological test in front of me, and I have the motivation and ability to do pretty well on it. I first found HowToADHD a couple years ago, shortly before those tests I just mentioned. I’ve started the process of getting re-evaluated for ADHD.

I spend lots of my free time as a leader for a few different youth groups. I like outdoor activities like running, cycling, camping, skiing, and swimming. Lots of rocks on running trails tends to focus my attention and rejuvenate me. I like learning how the human mind works and have read numerous books about it. And to stubbornly prove that you can teach an old dog new tricks, I’m trying to learn to play guitar. Okay, that is also partly so I can lead some of those youth groups in song.

I tend to be a pretty introverted and private person, but I look forward to meeting more of you as time goes on, learn from you, and share some of my experiences.

– John

4 Likes

Keep in touch here . . .

imho . . . It’s a good place

1 Like

Hi and welcome!

I’m new here to and it is just a wonderful community. You sound like a very active and wonderful human, and I hope your re-evaluation goes well so you can get the help needed and feel like you’ve reached your full potential.

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

I like that you mention neuropsych testing. Dr. Russell Barkley has written on how it is ineffective at diagnosing ADHD, as those of us with ADHD often perform very well on the tests because they are new, novel, challenging, urgent, and we get structure and one-on-one attention in a distraction free environment. When my provider first suggested the ADHD diagnosis to me he referred me to neuropsych testing and since it didn’t indicate ADHD we went along with treating my mood disorder for a little over a year before we circled back to the ADHD. It was a relief when it was finally diagnosed.

Like you I’ve been fairly successful. I’ve completed college and grad school (x2), hold down a job, am in a healthy relationship, meet most of my basic needs, and generally function well. That being said, I function better now with medication and treatment than I did before. Things are less of a struggle, and I can notice the times when I’m not doing as well as I can be doing.

I hope that you continue to get the support from the community that will be helpful to you, and also that you get support from your professionals in pursuing the diagnosis. A diagnosis isn’t always necessary, but it does open the doors to other things like specific treatments or medications that can have good benefit.

Again, welcome!

2 Likes

Welcome to this wonderful community and they will find everyone here is very nice!!
:33

1 Like

Thanks, @Brooklyn, @Butterkitten, @quietlylost, and @jam for your friendly welcomes. You are helping confirm the view I already had of this forum - that people are generally helpful, supportive, and friendly.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comments about neuropsych testing.

A couple years ago, between discovering HowToADHD and getting that neuropsych testing, I also watched hours of Russell Barkley’s youtube videos, so I was aware of the limitations of the testing. Without boring everyone with the details, the diagnosis I got at the time just “didn’t feel right,” nor did their justification for it (events in high school typically don’t affect 5th grade problems). They did say that I technically met the ADHD criteria, but that they thought that wasn’t the root cause of my problems. Then life intervened and further formal work on this got put on the back burner.

Now, life is intervening in a different way and prompting me to pick it back up. From my volunteer work with youth, I know that I can accommodate their different learning styles without having any diagnosis. But I also know that a diagnosis can help for things like medication and even for just getting understanding that “trying harder” isn’t quite enough for me.

I’m now starting to work with a provider who has ADHD, who specializes in it, and understands that it can present in many different ways. We’ll see what happens.

As an aside, for some reason I had revisited the Tower of Hanoi Puzzle a few weeks prior to my neuropsych testing. It is a standard computer algorithm problem and I wanted to work out a rule for one particular aspect of it. As part of the neuropsych testing, I was presented with a variation of it. The (relatively young) psychologist said I was the only person she’d seen do those problems without making a single mistake. I chuckled as I explained/admitted the reason why. I’m not sure results from that test had quite the same validity with me.

2 Likes