Hi, I'm Pelin, and I want to do everything.

career
intro

I am one of those diagnosed-in-adulthood brains. I actually went to a psychologist around mid 20’s after I’ve quit my 4th or 5th graduate school (interestingly, 4 halves do not make 1 master’s degree, weird, huh?) A similar story for many here I guess, things usually get boring at some point, end up not being what I imagined, etc. By the way, I am currently on a Ph.D., working on mt Thesis even (first time I got this far, and this is my first try after my diagnosis). I use meds on certain periods and quit them on others (within full knowledge of my therapist). Also, even though I was a textbook case, I got diagnosed luckily by a therapist who was ADHD himself, when I was forced by family to see him for my depression. However, although I have seen a few, and go when there is an emergency, I lack the luxury of visiting a professional on a regular basis. Our health system does not cover good therapy. What they cover is just not helpful, etc.

Well… I’m afraid that is not all. I also am studying at another university (they’re free in my country if you can pass the admittance exam), and what I am doing is something I wish I did when I was younger: Studying my hobby as a career. At this university, I’m a literature major. Basically I read books and they give me pocket money in exchange. I must note that my previous experience is nothing like that. Because I’ve been forced by my parents and teachers to major in Engineering (because I was good in Maths) and you can all guess how successful an ADHD brain becomes when forced into an area they dislike. Considering on some days I can’t even find the energy to do the things I like, it is a miracle that I actually managed to graduate from that one, but my parents were not too off the mark sadly, cause I could do Engineering with little effort, but had no enthusiasm for it. Nevertheless, I’d advise younger brains to go on a path you like in the first place, else you can find yourself back in school at 35+ :slight_smile:. Oh and, remember how I said I was good at Maths, well I’m also doing a Minor at Mathematics department on the side to my English Literature degree now :slight_smile:

PS. I do not know which one I’ll be doing in 2-3 years after I graduate from all (hopefully) but still… These are my three career thingies. Apart from those, I like programming, sometimes flirt with coding a new awesome game, and then usually cannot follow through. I am also very much into Boardgames and dream to make one of those as well. At a given time I usually have at least 5 active projects, and none of them tend to be finished. I have a room full of abandoned projects. I like crocheting, for example. I have at least 20 works-in-progress :slight_smile:

Mainly I love the beginning of everything. Need a stimulant to see the end of things and not the best at finding/providing that. HowToADHD videos are tremendously helping, I binge-watched several of them, and going in chronological order (because random/chaos damages my inner order nazi). Last week I had a Thesis Progress Meeting, in order to defeat which I made a glitter calming bottle :smiley:.

And lastly, if anyone is keeping a statistics of how everyone first finds their way here, I clicked on Jessica’s BuJo review posted on a BuJo group, and the rest was history. Hope I did not babble too long :wink:

Hi Pelin! Nice to meet you. Is that a Turkish name? Maybe Armenian?

I’ll race you… Let’s see who can do everything first!

I have a four bedroom house full of abandoned projects. I sometimes have trouble even finding my bed for all the stuff everywhere.

Hey Pelin… In your profile picture, it looks like you’re archaeologising. Is that another project of yours? Or a more long term thing?

I’d love to get into archaeology, I’m fascinated by history, and have always dreamed of finding even just a small piece that tells a story.

I’m in Australia. Our European history doesn’t go back so far. And study of Aboriginal cultures here is probably more of an anthropology thing (although I’m sure there are some major archaeological discoveries coming).

The bulk of the archaeological work done from Australia probably relates more to the Australians who died at Gallipoli to make Turkey British, and all the others who died in foreign lands for somebody else (from South Africa to Vietnam).

But as important as Gallipoli was to Australian history, we were only fly specks on a piece of land that had seen some of the greatest empires known to history living, dying, winning, losing, over thousands of years. A history which still affects us today.

It almost seems as if you could dig a hole anywhere there, and fill buckets with everything from machine gun bullets and empty jam tins, to bronze spears and amphorae.

It’s so cool that you get paid to read! I’d be a millionaire!

It is one of the careers, sort of. I was initially a chemical engineer. My ongoing PhD is in Archaeometry, I chemically analyse archaeological materials utilizing my science background, trying to reveal ancient trade networks (around 3000 BC for my thesis materials :slight_smile: I looked around, and it was one of the enjoyable things you could do with a chemistry degree :smiley: Also yes, it is a Turkish name indeed! I’m not sure about its archaeology, but I remember that there was a great archaeological science / archaeometry centre there!

Wow! Sounds cool. I just started a book which proposes that the ancient Romans had vast trade networks which went as far as China and Indonesia (after Augustus I think, once they held Egypt and had access to the Red Sea).

The author states that most historians took little interest in the financial documents they found, so many of them were not considered important and have since disappeared,

But he seems to make a pretty good case that the Roman treasury was heavily dependent on the trade coming from the east, particularly India. The cost of maintaining the standing legions was staggering.

So you are not in Turkey now?

No problem there. I have a Hungarian name, and I’ve never even seen Hungary. My ancestors and yours probably had a wonderful time together, when they met in battles. My Dad told me about the local church where he grew up. It had a cross, of course. Then the Ottomans came, and put a crescent on top of the cross. Apparently they were reasonably well respected, because when they left, the crescent wasn’t removed… They just put another cross on top of the crescent, on top of the first cross. Not sure if it survived the last war, maybe it’s still there? I think in Pecs.